Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,514 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mahdokht
What makes you think they'd be any safer if he were not there? I raise my children as if every neighboor is a potential molester, because they are. We are very vigilant as every parent should be.
:

And just to reiterate...

"and just to add...civil rights are for every one in this country, *including* people who aren't citizens." (Sadie Sabot)

I think that bears repeating OVER AND OVER again until people understand... civil rights are NOT just for people "you" (the general YOU) deem "worthy". That is a mighty slippery slope that we need to stay far, far away from (unfortunately, Ashcroft et al did more damage in four years than any of us can even imagine...
)

Lo

· Registered
2,514 Posts
You know, thinking about this a bit more, I think I'd actually almost RATHER know who the sex offender in the neighborhood is... I think if I found out it was my neighbor, I'd bake some cookies and take a little trip to his front door. Introduce myself. And in a friendly way let him (or her?) know that I know who they are and that I'm not going to tar and feather them, but that I *am* going to keep my eyeballs open WIDE for anything remotely out of the ordinary. Let him/her know that my kids are going to give them a WIDE berth and will NOT be speaking to them or interacting with them AT ALL (and if I see you so much as look sideways at my kid, I'm gonna rip your head off... well, that part I'd think, but probably not say!)

I mean, at least you KNOW who he is, right?? You can explain to your kids what the danger is and to avoid that man like the plague... you can't do that if you don't know who he is, kwim?

I could, however, be totally off my rocker... my ex bil is currently serving 18 years for molesting his daughter. He gets out in 7 more years. Don't think that I haven't fantasized about plastering his neighborhood with flyers warning parents of his past... I am human, after all

Lo

Oh, and Abimommy, ITA about the kneejerk reaction thing... I think that's normal... but we aren't talking about voting rights or the right to bear arms, we are talking about the very basic right to live in peace AFTER one has already paid their debt to society... sick as he is, he deserves a chance to live SOMEwhere, right? Although, I've also had dreams of a "pedophile community" perhaps somewhere in outer mongolia?? Well, maybe Detroit or Ypsilanti?? Somewhere that people tend to *not* want to live much... no offense to our Michigan mama's... those were just the first two places that jumped into my head when I thought... "Where would I *never* want to live?" Of course, Florida is also on that list for me... LOLOL...

· Registered
2,514 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarihah
I didn't mean it the way you took it. In my neighborhood, there are many preschool children wandering the street and alley areas alone. Their families are from the middle east, where this is not uncommon. I've never lived anywhere else that had so many very young children wandering unsupervised and at considerable distances from their homes. The mothers of these children frequently don't know where they are, or if they are inside someone else's house playing. They often go down the street, pounding on doors, looking for their children.
YIKES Sarihah! I would be so much more worried about this situation for many reasons OTHER than child molesters!! Can you have a "community meeting" and explain how dangerous it is to allow your small kids to roam freely without supervision in this country?? I feel terrible for those parents... I'm assuming they are simply unaware... if they are negligent, then I'd just be pissed :LOL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.