Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for overnight and *affordable* summer camps for my kids ages 8-9 in IL or MO. I would prefer not up by Chicago as that's really really far from us. I have tried searching for camps but can only find specific sports camps or prep camps that cost thousands and thousands of dollars a week. I went to Camp Maranatha (?) when I was younger in Central IL and it was inexpensive and fun but I can't find anything similar for my kids. I would prefer secular or not religious based (UU would be ok) if possible. It needs to be overnight because I know there are none by us I can drive them to and from every day.<br><br>
TIA!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
The only ones that I know are girlscout camps. My husband went to camp ondessonk when he was a kid. It's in southern illinois.

·
Registered
945 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">My husband went to camp ondessonk when he was a kid. It's in southern illinois.</td>
</tr></table></div>
I went there in Jr. High. But it is a Catholic camp. I had a great time there and can't remember how religious it was (probably not too much so b/c I was totally the kind of kid who would have been annoyed by that...)

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
We have used Camp Ondessonk in Southern IL, and my son loved it. It is run/owned by the Catholic Church, but the camp does not have an especially religious orientation (my son would not have liked that either!). If it's still around, it was wonderful, located in Pope or maybe Johnson County--gorgeous area. And I think my son got in for free--they do income assessment and some kind of sliding scale all the way to 0 cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts