Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We eat tons of greens here and I was wondering what grows well in the summer heat - I am in MN and the weather is pretty variable - could be 95 and humid all summer or 70. Do collards grow well in the heat? What about kale? I have some Jericho lettuce so I hope I have that covered - many of the CSA farms around here grow it for their summer lettuce.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I have really good luck with swiss chard. Spinach and lettuce bolt straight away but swiss chard stays lovely all season long.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Both collards and kale do okay in the summer heat, although I find that the collards seem to hold up a little better. Both, however, like cool soil temps, so that can be a bit tricky depending on the climate. Rainbow chard grows great in the heat, and looks pretty too. Might be worth a try.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot about Malabar spinach, the Hmong farmers sell rooted cuttings at the market. I'll have to get some of that.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
i think malabar spinach and new zealand spinach are 2 different things and both are supposed to grow well in the heat.<br>
you can also eat sweet potato greens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts