Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 465 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Thought I'd start a brand new thread, as our old one was all the way to 22 pages!

We've just returned from camping out at Golden Ears park - too many partyers for my liking, but the kids had a blast, and we got to take part in an awesome bug talk/walk! I'm so excited to be starting up a summer of camping again!!!!!

That beach day on Thurs looks fabulous, thanks for posting that Abbie - we have a birthday party to go to but I'm hoping to check it out afterwards, even just to see what everyone has done before the tide comes in!!!

Jen, camping on your property sounds great, but I have to say my summer is filling up at a crazy rate so don't plan it around me for now - I can tell you, the first week in July looks good, after the 24th of Aug looks good and Sept looks great for camping so even if it doesn't work out on your property, perhaps we can plan another trip at a campground?!!

Last Thurs the girls and I went out strawberry picking at this little farm (Emma Lee's, I think?!) It's on the way to the Reifle Bird Sanctuary, about 5 minutes beforehand, so we got a tonne of delicious, cheap strawberries then went to see all the baby ducklings! It was such a great day, I highly recommend it to all! We made a batch of jam, and then froze the rest for the winter - love my berries! In a couple of weeks it should be raspberry season so I think we'll go again!

Anyone up for a get-together this Fri? And Jen, I'd still be into swapping DVD's/CD Rom's for a change of pace if you are too - and anyone else who wants to do some short term swapping around to change up what you have in your house for a while?!!!!

Okay, off to get ready for my day! Yaaaaaaaaaay, the sun is out!!!!!!

Erica

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Erica, Golden Ears is nice but very vusy one of the busiest parks in the province! I used to have an office there in my life before kids

Anyway, for a camp out at my house I am going to check the calendar and throw some dates out soon but I am actually thinking late August or early September would be good cause our summer is getting very busy and I need to be avaible to attend my friends birth and she is due at the beginning of August (niki_73)...

I will round up our unwanted CDs DVDs for trades... sounds good...

Jen

·
Registered
864 Posts
Subscribing...

Erica, your camping trip sounds fun. We might go camping for Canada long weekend. Outings are more fun now that DS is walking and really interested in stuff.

Speaking of walking, we had a bit of a scare yesterday while out with DS. We were walking home from our little local park and there were two young guys hanging out on a park bench. DS, being the curious little guy he is, stopped to talk to them. They were both high as could be and were trying to encourage DS to come close to them, which DH and I dissuade. As we were guiding him away, one guy actually got up and started walking towards DS, reaching out to pick him up! DH and I both remained quite calm, but DH scooped DS up in his arms and we walked away. The guy kept making comments about how he's "the daddy now".
Makes me realize how vigilant you have to be when your children start exploring their world out of arms reach.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hooray for a nice sunny day! As soon as I saw the sun this morning, I went and grabbed all the laundry that's been sitting on my dryer, waiting for a sunny day to sun out the stains. There are diapers and baby shorts and shirts all over my little green space outside our apartment. Strata rules be damned - I've got laundry that needs sunning!

Yikes! Dido that would freak me out, too. Yesterday we were at the park having a picnic dinner with my parents. There was a little special needs girl there with her mom. The girl was quite taken with Maya and kept trying to pick her up and then would just walk into little Maya or push her over. I think the girl was about 8. The mom would call to her to stop, but the girl wouldn't listen. I felt bad, because I know the girl didn't mean to hurt Maya (but she did, several times) and just wanted to play. But it got to the point where I had to (very gently, but firmly) physically remove the girl's hands from my daughter. We went and played elsewhere in the park after that. I felt bad, but she was really hurting Maya.

10 more days until school is out and I'm on holidays for the summer! Hooray! My report cards are done and I'm about to start my inventory, and life is good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks to everyone for all the great advice on treating my sons eczema! It's been very helpful.

Crunchymomma-Do you know of a store that sells motherease diapers in Chilliwack or Abbotsford? Congratulations on your teaching contract next year, what school are you going to be working at?

Enjoy the sunshine everyone!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Laura - I don't know of a single store that sells cloth diapers in the Fraser Valley. I've bought everything online, except for a bunch of cotton doublers that I picked up for less than a dollar at the Bibles For Missions thrift store in Sardis. I really like the Mother Ease airflow covers, though. Once you have enough posts, try looking on the diaper trading post on MDC. There's also a great yahoo diaper swap board. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diaper...guid=193664595 I also have just discovered freecycle yahoo groups. No cloth diapers, but lots of great free and cheap stuff. Chilliwack's freecycle: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chilli...guid=193664595

I'm working at Silver Creek again next year. I teaching grade 5, probably for the whole year. It's a mat leave, but the mom isn't sure if she can afford to take the whole year. There are lots of small part time positions being posted right now, you should apply! I'd be happy to let you know if there was a part time position available, if you like.

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
hey everyone, isn't it a beautiful day!! we had an amazing time at the commercial drive festival yesterday and today we are off to trout lake to enjoy the sun and warm water.. if anyone wants to join us, we will probably be there till 4 or so.. its 1:30 now. we will be at the playground or beach

hope you all have a wonderful day!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cruchymomma-I bought some motherease diapers at Dscount Dapers in Langley but I got the wrong size cover. I was hoping to find a store closer to home that sells them so I wouldn't have to drive back there (Jake isn't liking long car rides these days). I tried logging onto the trading post here but couldn't, I had no idea you had to have a certain number of posts
. Thanks for the link to the yahoo group, I will definately check it out. It's funny you should mention freecycle, I joined last week! They seem to have a lot of really great stuff being offered.

Silver Creek is a nice school, hopefully you'll get the full year. My husband is trying to arrange a four day work week and if he can do that then I'll go back one day a week so if you hear of anything like that, yes, please let me know.

Sooo...I hope you have a great summer! Let me know if you'd ever like someone to go walking with at Harrison or anywhere else. Jake and I would like the company

·
Registered
457 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ******'s mom
Anyone up for a get-together this Fri?
I'm thinking of heading to Buntzen Lake on Friday if that's of interest to anyone else..

Nicki

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Hey! I'd be up for Buntzen! Considering that I live 5 minutes from it, I really have no excuse!
Also, I have the in-laws staying over, so it might give me an excuse to "get away!"

It would be great to meet everyone too. I'm expecting some slings (Zolo, hotsling, Next Gen Ergo) this week, and if they arrive before Fri., I'll bring them!

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
Wow, they must have changed the rules. When I was a mod anybody could BUY from the trading post, you just needed to have more posts to SELL there (the place was getting spammy). I second ME airflow covers, they are great. You can order them online (and from Canada, right?, so it shouldn't take long to ship).

Hooray for summer! Can't wait to hit 2nd Beach Pool. Mum bought the kids sun/swim suits so we're ready!

When is the next get-together?

·
Registered
985 Posts
mostly subscribing...

DH is home with Calvin for next bit, until we leave on our trip on the 29th. I'm hoping I can get him to join you guys on a gathering, but he's all worried about getting back to pick Emily up at school... (shyness rears its head) so I'll keep my "ears" open for happenings on here...

gtg,
-Lori

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I would be into Buntzen on Friday... haven't been there in a while and never with the kids... still watching the weather for Thursday...

Elaine, I would love to see your new slings... I am trying to make a mei tai right now... if it is done I will bring it...

Jen

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
If the weather isn't good for Friday, I would consider having you all over at my place, seeing as I'm so close to Buntzen.

Only thing is, with my in-laws here that might be tricky. They're not the most crunchy people on the face of the earth... in fact they are probably the soggiest..
My MIL actually told DH that he should let Dd start CIO so that she will sleep in her crib at night.
And that was 1 week after I had had Dd.

So you can imagine what it would be like with everyone here... World war 3!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Hello everyone, wow just caught up on four pages...You ladies can talk! :LOL We just got back from a six day wedding celebration in Kelowna, it was very nice, but very hectic and the family politics went way to crazy. So I'm happy to be home. Hope to see everyone soon!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Ellaine! I'm so jealous of your Zolo purchase!!!! I soooooo want one but I can't afford one right now. What Hotslings pattern did you order? And your MIL...sheesh...sounds like my MIL telling us we need to start "swatting" DS or he won't learn to not touch things. I think NOT.

We spent the morning yesterday at 2nd Beach with SIL and her son, which was fun. Accept I got a sunburn - ugh. Does anyone have any hints for getting children to keep their hats on? DS refuses to wear his hat for any length of time and I worry about sunstroke...

Anyone going to LLL this morning?

1 - 20 of 465 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.