Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dh's ex is unemployed and if she stays unemployed she plans to take dsd's during the week and we have them on the weekends in the summer. For whatever reason I became uncertain about that scenario but nonetheless will do whatever they want. I am concerned about the transition back. I told dh at the very least they need to be back 2-3 weeks before school starts to get them used to living with us again since they don't do too well with adjustments. I am also concerned about my kids adjusting them being gone and then coming back. They would only see each other likely only see each other for 36 hours a week under that arrangement and then would have to adjust back to having them here sunday through friday again. Just curious how this works for everyone else. Dh also said that the above arrangement may only be for half the summer.

Thoughts

·
Registered
62 Posts
My ex takes ds every summer, and every Thanksgiving...and that is all.
He pushes for as much time as possible every year, but I have come to the comfort zone of Fathers Day - thru August 1st. (which is 2-3 weeks before school starts here, and 2-3 weeks after school ends in June)
This gives us time to enjoy some summer, and for him to decompress and get back into the normalcy of life at home.

my sweethearts, kids and he do fine. I think they miss him, they sometimes forget where he is, and say- why isn't XX here?
I remind them, and they say - oh - I don't think they understand the arrangement really well, but they are always happy to 'hang out' once ds returns.

I think you are right to build a buffer from the altered schedule back in at the end of the summer. It makes a big difference for us, and allows me time with him, and to get school supplies etc, all organized.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts