Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, DH has basal cell, which he will hopefully have surgery on soon. I recently had a physical and the doc ordered a biopsy of a spot on my bottom lip. He said he has no reason to believe that it isn't benign, but it still freaks me out since DH was so recently diagnosed with skin cancer. We both need a sunscreen that is easy enough to be used every day year-round. We both have sensitive skin. Here's the thing. I HATE sunscreen. I have sensory issues and I don't like how it feels on my skin, I don't like touching it, etc. I've tried mineral sunscreens before and the amount of rubbing and the coated-in-rubber feel was not to my liking. So, we need a good healthy sunscreen that is easy to use (so that I actually use it). Any recs for us? I'm sure the mineral sunscreen market has come a long way since the last time I tried it, but the choices are so overwhelming (and expensive).

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I 2nd the Devita. I've been using it all year on my face (the Devita Solar Protective Moisturizer SPF 30) and agree with the PP that the feel of it is good - like regular lotion. It was recommended to me at Whole Foods in CA when we were on vaca & I ran out of what I had been using. The only thing I wonder about it is how they make it like that, when all the others brands I've tried (and I try a lot...it's a bit of an obsession) are so much thicker & whiter.

For body, I do try to use protective clothing as a first line of defense. When buying sunscreens, I use the EWG safe sunscreen guide and choose by that, but other than the Devita, I'm not thrilled with any of the others I've purchased this year (but my kids are still too young to complain, so I'm sticking with the safest ones, no matter how ghost-like they look
lol.gif
).

Currently we are using Badger (which is thick and white and gooey), TruKid Sunny Days SPF 30 (not much different than the Badger, but a little cheaper I think), True Natural Cosmetics All Natural Sunscreen SPF 40 (which is really greasy & sticky, but smells great to me and isn't white), Coppertone Kids Pure & Simple SPF 50, which is rated a 3 I think (so not the safest, but still safer than many) but it is so much cheaper & a bit less rubbing to not look ghost white. I also have the Aubrey Organics Green Tea SPF 30 which smells so gross to me I may actually throw it away (too bad b/c I like the other products from them).

EWG lists the safest non-mineral options on the website.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.