Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Alba Botanical Chemical Free is okay to put on my 4 month old? It has titanium dioxide which is not absorbed into the skin, it sits on top of it.
I emailed the company and they recommended not using it until 6 months old but i think they are just trying to be extra safe.

any thoughts????

thanks!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I think babies younger than 6 months are supposed to be protected from the sun all the time. Stick to the shade and do your best to keep the baby out of the sun. They make baby cabanas etc so they can be out at the beach and baby will still be shaded. So no sunscreen.

You could check with your ped. but I think it might be that either they could not test it on such young babies (so liability issue caused the warning) or the skin is too vulnerable to be protected that way (ie. rash) or it simply will not protect the baby.

Doreen

·
Registered
308 Posts
From what I understand, the two reasons sunscreen is not recommended for small babies are:
1. Babies are more susceptible to absorbing the chemicals into their skin than adults (or older children).
2. Sunscreen can impair a baby's ability to cool him/herself by sweating.

The AAP now says that a very small amount of sunscreen on a small amount of body area (e.g. the face and hands) of a baby under 6 months is okay. However, in general it's a better idea to prevent sun exposure, by clothing the baby and/or keeping him/her in the shade.

-Joan

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chlaal
From what I understand, the two reasons sunscreen is not recommended for small babies are:
1. Babies are more susceptible to absorbing the chemicals into their skin than adults (or older children).
2. Sunscreen can impair a baby's ability to cool him/herself by sweating.

The AAP now says that a very small amount of sunscreen on a small amount of body area (e.g. the face and hands) of a baby under 6 months is okay. However, in general it's a better idea to prevent sun exposure, by clothing the baby and/or keeping him/her in the shade.

-Joan
Both reasons make sense to me, thank you!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Interesting, I just got off the phone with my 3 month old's pediatrician and the nurse said that some sunscreens are toxic to babies under 6 months old.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I bought Alba Botanica for kids, and specifically got this one because it has no titanium dioxide or paraben.
I haven't used it yet. I have a UV shirt on ds as well as a hat. And a sun umbrella too at times.

Dawn

·
Registered
663 Posts
My friend's dermatologist said it was because they shouldn't eat it, so that it's ok to put it on their feet and legs if they don't put them in their mouth. That doesn't make sense to me, though, because babies older than 6 months certainly put things in their mouths -- but maybe it's more toxic to those under 6 mos? I don't know.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was told that its because their skin is so thin, that more of it(the chemicals) actually ends up in their bloodstream than stays on their skin. Plus you are supposed to keep them out of direct sunlight anyway. But supposedly you can use a little bit on the tops of the hands etc (things you can't cover with clothes)

~Melissa~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts