Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of these, and am wondering what to do with it. I bought it for my older child, but I wound up not using it for him because I feel like he is okay without a booster now. He is almost 11, is 4' 9", and weighs something over 70 pounds (haven't weighed him recently).<br><br>
I thought maybe I would save it for my 5 yr old, but by then, will it be expired? He is currently in a Britax Regent and I honestly don't see him outgrowing that any time soon. He is about 42-45 pounds, and is 43.5 inches tall. I really prefer the idea of him being in the five point harness because he just seems safer. I do not really see him staying in the seat belt the way he should. Plus he still sometimes falls asleep in the car, and will be all hunched over to the side.<br><br>
So, what to do with this Monterey for now? Should I keep just the bottom in my car for times when I might need a booster for a friend? Keeping the whole thing in the car seems like it would take up too much space if it's not in use much.<br><br>
Or do you think that my older child actually still needs it? That would be hard to go back for him.<br><br>
The other dilemma is that I need to buy a second car seat for my 5 year old for my MIL's car. I was considering buying a Graco Nautilus for that. I just feel like he's not quite ready for the Monterey, because he is at the very beginning of the weight and height for that seat. I don't mind buying a third seat.<br><br>
What would you ladies do? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If your older son really doesn't need it (and it's quite possible he doesn't at 4'9") I'd use it for your 5 yr. old in your MIL's car. It's a perfectly safe seat for a developmentally normal 5 yr. old who meets the minimums for the seat.<br>
My 4 yr. old is usually harnessed but rides in a booster with other people, and he's 42"/42 lbs. and sits still for short rides. I wouldn't trust him on a 100+ mile drive in a booster yet, but I think by doing short trips now he'll be ready to be boostered full-time at 5.5-6. My oldest was in a harness in my car and his dad's car until 6.5 but used a booster in his grandma's car starting at 4.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts