Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nearly 8 mo old DS has become very VERY congested in the past 24 hours. He woke me up in the middle of the night wheezing and crying because he couldn't breathe easily. His breath is labored and his nose is clogged. Of course, he wanted nothing to do with nasal saline drops. I swaddled him as best I could and then did the saline in his nose and turned on our humidifier in the bedroom overnight. He eventually drifted back off to sleep, panting shallowly through his mouth. I was basically up the rest of the night terrified that he would stop breathing.<br><br>
I have Hyland's Seasonal Allergy tabs and Sinus tabs for myself, I am wondering if it is safe to give baby half of either one of those. My allergies have landed me with a sinus infection, so I have an appointment tomorrow with my MD for that and then my acupuncturist to get some drainage going. But baby can't do acupuncture! I'm sure he wouldn't lie still.<br><br>
I'm running hot water in the bathroom now to try and create a steam room to see if that will help him - any other non-medication ideas? Please?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
My chiro is superb at draining sinuses. She is very skilled with children and I always take them to her when they are having problems like that. My oldest DS is prone to ear infections and since we've been going to her, he's avoided any ear infections when he is clogged. She's also done it on me and it was awesome.<br><br>
Also, yes, I do think babies can have seasonal allergies. DS2 has had a period of the year where he is plugged up, but no cold, since he was a few weeks old (he was born at the end of Feb and his plugged time is mid-march to the end of May). He was just "officially" diagnosed with environmental allergies and we'll be testing him soon to see exactly what he is reacting to.<br><br>
You can use breastmilk instead of saline if that is easier for your DS.<br><br>
Not sure about the Hyland's though. Usually we stick to the kids' tablets. Do you have a homeopath you could see to get specific remedies to use?<br><br>
Good luck - I hope you are both feeling better soon!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Express breastmilk and put a few drops in each nostril with a medicine dropper as needed, it will clear up the stuffy nose amazingly so he can breathe and it feels way better than saline, especially when body temp...try it yourself. It will also help with any bacterial infection if there is any.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts