Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ny nephew weighs 45 lbs which is what I've read is somewhat average (for his age). He barely grows out of his clothes, has had the same shirt for nearly a year (a very little shorter in the arms), mom buys the clothes snug but even so, they kind of hang on him. He is bird/elf like almost to the point of skeletal. His parents are both large people. Anyone else have kids like this? He seems otherwise healthy and is energetic to the point I wonder if he might be ADHD (he gets distracted easily, and is not so focussed on getting the calories in). My son was different in that I frequently had to buy clothes a size ahead although for the longest time he was tall and lanky (now he's just large which another matter altogether). It's been so long with my son I can't remember exactly what happened but my friends daughter, a year younger than him is about the same size (I think, judging by clothing size).

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Meh. Everyone grows at different sizes. If he's healthy, and he sounds like is, he's fine. As long as the parents keep putting healthy options in front of him including good sources of protein and fat, he will eat what he needs.

I think it's normal for a 5 year old boy to be active and easily distracted. That's just the way 5 year olds are.

Reactions: kathymuggle

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
I don't think 45 pounds is all that odd for a 5 yr old. Even if it is, it is not all that odd for 5 year olds to be slender or even skinny....

Unless something major is going on (such as he does not have access to food) or unless the parents ask for your opinion, I would not say one thing about it. Let it go. Your nephews size is of no concern of yours (said gently, as I am assuming your heart is probably in the right place).

Reactions: Xerxella

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
So I just plotted him on a growth chart. If he was 5yo today 45lb (20kg) he would be on the 72nd percentile.
If I change the parameters to give him a January birthday, he drops to the 63rd percentile.

Taking nothing but weight into account that is fine :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK

It's not his size so much as the fact that he barely grows (the shirt I remember now predates last summer and still fits nearly the same). I'm just going to try to forget about it.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Maybe he had a big growth spurt a year or so ago and is in a slow growth phase now. If he was the same weight 12 months ago then he would have been 94th percentile then.

My experience is that growth and development do not progress at a steady rate along a linear pathway. They tend to go in leaps. Maybe last year was his physical leap and this year he's having a cognitive one.

Forgetting about it and just enjoying him sounds like a good plan :)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Sounds a lot like my DD. She's healthy, energetic, just not particularly driven by food. She's probably almost 45 pounds now and will be 7 in march. It seemed like she hovered at 37 pounds forEVER before finally jumping up in the scale a bit. We had some magical tshirts that seemed to fit for years. It may seem odd if you don't have that kind of kid, but I think it was it is. Unless you think there's some reason to worry (like the parents are health nuts and restricting food), it sounds okay to me.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I generally

trust his parents but when I see him he barely eats (possibly because it's not a normal day for him). His mom fed him beer when he was a toddler, that is why I know rationally (because he seems well adjusted and happy) that he's probably OK, but I feel unsettled by this sort of thing. His mom (and dad) seem to have picky food issues too. I'm trying not to be judgmental or critical I guess I can't help but be a worrywort, it's in my nature. And his dad brought up the weight (as if he was concerned) and when I asked his mom where he falls on the BMI chart, the mom said the doctor never told her. Which might mean "none of your business", I didn't push it. I know the BMI is only a rough indicator but generally, healthy people kind of reside in the same area on the chart (as a continuity). We all have our issues, I know we have ours.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
In what context did his mother feed him beer as a toddler?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mostly whenever we saw them, an everyday sort of beer in the afternoon thing. He doesn't ask for it anymore but he did then. It's just something otherwise unknown to me.

·
Registered
530 Posts
My kiddos have never grown out of anything by getting too big around for them, except underpants. My 8 year old, super healthy but tall and skinny son just admitted that some size 2-3's are too tight in the butt. But mostly, the underwear falls apart before it gets too small. I know a lot of other skinny kids who grow with the same pattern. T shirts have always fit for a few years because we buy them on the bigger side. Especially if they're short-sleeved, they don't look like they fit any differently until all of a sudden there's that gap between the end of the shirt and the pants. So from what you describe, I wouldn't be worried about his growth unless his pediatrician or parents are, especially if he's got good energy and has hit milestones in-range.

Why do they give him beer? I have never heard of that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts