Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 18 weeks and I am just SUPER WEEPY right now. Really for like the last 2 weeks. Like crying several times a day...at real things, fake things, nothing! So I wouldn't think there would be any particular hormone flux that should be happening at this point (like the difference b/w not pregnant and early pregnancy - which also makes me cry). I am under a lot of stress, but no more then the entire pregnancy thus far! So I'm thinking mineral imbalance or lack of a vitamin? Anyone know what I need for mild depression/super weepiness? Mag maybe? I've totally been slacking on my vitamins recently, but I'm not a big multi vit kinda girl in general. I try to get it all from food as much as possible. But I might be doing a terrible job at the moment (sob, sob)! I've been eyeing some maca (I know it's generally not recommended for pregnancy, but that doesn't make sense based on the research I've seen and the fact that it doesn't work via hormones so much as nourishing so that hormones do what they're supposed to). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I actually logged on this morning just to tell what happened to me last night with regards to crying. I haven't been particularly weepy or sensitive or emotional lately, so this was just plain weird.

In the middle of the night, DH woke me up, apparently in the mood. So random. Anyway, afterwards, I went to the bathroom and noticed my chest was feeling waves of tightness. It was a familiar feeling, but I couldn't place it. Then all the sudden tears welled up in my eyes and I realized that the chest feeling was that feeling you get before you cry. I was sitting on the toilet crying for no apparent reason, with no warning, and my body has started the process without me even knowing it.

WTH?

It was just a few hot tears, but it was so strange. I mean, I had been thinking about something at the time, but I didn't think it was bothering me- especially not to point of crying about it.

So I too am wondering if hormones can do sudden, crazy shifts. In the first trimester and towards the end of the third I get emotional, but not usually in the second.

My mom always says that you should increase your vit. D to feel better if you are feeling down. I don't know if there is anything to that though. I am HORRIBLE at taking supplements. And the whole vit. D thing strikes me as strange and I wonder if, ina few years, they will come out with some new study showing they were wrong about it. At any rate, being in the sunshine is usually good for depression... if it'snot 1,000 degrees out, which has been here lately.

Totally rambling now.

Heat- Hope you catch any imbalance if there is any to catch!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I agree, vitamin D is the big one. I live in central texas, we're outside all the time, the sun is strong, and pre-pregnancy I took 2tsp of fermented cod liver oil daily, so I was really surprised when my labs showed I was D deficient. I haven't been able to take my FCLO and haven't been tolerating the heat so I've been mostly indoors this summer, but I thought I had good D stores anyway. Guess not. So now I'm taking Thornes D3 + K2 drops (they are synergistic), 4,000-6,000IU daily. The drops make me gag (it's an oil) so I have to space them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
885 Posts
I couldn't find a supplement with both D3 and K2 in correct proportional amounts, so I bought separately, but then ran out of the K2 pretty quickly. I need to get more.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Maybe something has changed in me. Or maybe I am just tired. Whatever the explanation, I've been wildly emotional all day. Up and down. Irritated and fighting tears.

What is k2?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Vitamin K, specifically K2. You're supposed to get a calcium to magnesium ratio of 1:1 and our food no longer does that because there's not a lot of magnesium in the soil. And we are also supposed to get vitamins D and K together, but many people have problems converting D2 to D3, so just take D3 instead. These four vitamins/minerals are crucial to good health in the right proportions. Mercola's website has the easiest to understand explanations of this. It always seems silly to recommend just one of the four without mentioning how crucial the others are to use in tandem since they work together.

Maybe luckiest understands it better than I do since she's the nutrition student.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I feel like crying all the time. Like my face just starts to cry for no reason. It is pregnancy, as I normally am not much if a crier and there is nothing new or awful in my life to cry about. I feel like Robert DeNiro in Analyze This! Puppy on TV? Cry. Life insurance ad? Cry. Store is out of your favorite flavor ice cream? Cry.

·
Registered
444 Posts
YES! I have never in my life been an involuntary crier (although I am highly emotional, now and forever)--but this pregnancy seems to be time for many firsts, and lately I will be literally walking along or just sitting there, and realize that I am starting to cry. It's generally during high-stress times, but I don't have to be actively thinking about anything; I just start! It's weird, right? And a bit frustrating. I am not a big fan of welling up in the hallway at work. But I do it, now!

Very much looking forward to slightly cooler weather so I can spend more time in the sunshine, too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts