Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm. I thought I knew the answer to this one, but now I don't know! Ds is about 70 percent breastfed, 30 percent ff. He's 9 months old and has solids for breakfast and dinner *after* nursing. I'd thought that it was better to give him more formula instead of more solids, but the Jack Newman site actually says that if a baby is ready for solids (5-6 months) then it's not necessary to use formula - that the extra calories can come from solids instead of formula.

We use the lact-aid to supplement with every feeding but the first in the morning, and boy howdy would I love to ditch that sucker. But...my worry is that by following Newman's advice my babe will actually spend less time on the breast, which is definately not going to help me regain a full supply. What do you all think? I'd love some input on this.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Would you mind rephrasing the question? If you use solids during the feeds when you might have used formula, how is the baby spending less time at the breast? Sorry to be confused.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I think because he's getting formula at the breast with the lact-aid. Maybe offer to nurse for longer after the formula's gone, then offer more solids when he's tired of that?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nisupulla, ds doesn't use a bottle - we use the lact-aid to supplement with - so that's why I'm concerned he won't spend as much time at the breast if I stop using formula.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Since you're working on establishing/increasing your supply with a lactaid, I'd continue with the formula. I've always been a bit leary of some of Newman's advice - even though you can get the same amount of calories with solids, they are nowhere near as nutritonally dense as the formula, and especially in your case more solids means less time at the breast. I can't remember, but is there a flow control on the lactaid? Maybe you can fiddle a bit with that to keep the babe on the breast longer and decrease the amount of the supplement.

Best of luck and I want to say you so totally rock for relactating!

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
hhhhmmm...not sure.
I personally chose to supplement with solids at that age....and she nursed ALL THE TIME. At LEAST every hour. Seriously, I spent at least 20 minutes of every hour, all day long, BFing.....it was BARELY enough milk. But, i was so stubborn about not using ANY formula, i did it. And then started supplementing with food earlier than i wanted, but at the time, it seemed like the best choice.

I would nurse with the lact aid and formula, as often as you currently are nursing with it, if that makes any sense, but then supplement with solids instead of ADDITIONAL formula. Does that make sense? Whatever amount you are giving now, keep it the same, and use food to bridge the gap....but at 9 months, i would be hesitant to cut down on the milk intake, you know? perhaps gradually, over the next few months, that would be okay...such that by 12 months, the formula is gone, and the babe is existing on BM and solids.....heck, by 12 months, mainstream babes are just getting solids and cow milk, so I'd think a babe getting solids and people milk, even if it's not much, would be better, you know?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad to see that everyone is agreeing with my gut instinct - which is to keep using formula. Even though I hate the lact-aid, I'm afraid that *not* using it and substituting solids instead will ultimately damage the nursing relationship my babe and I have been able to re-establish.

bobandjess99, you touched on something I've wondered about - namely what my plan is for once ds hits 12 months. I plan to continue nursing him till he's at least 2, but by 12 months we'll have been using the lact-aid for 9 months, and I think by then I'll really be over it. Hopefully at that age I *will* be able to use solids to bridge the nutritional gap for him. I'm pretty sure I have enough milk that he'll be interested in still nursing, even if we have to rely on a lot of solids too.

Thanks everyone for your input; I appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I was (am) in this situation, and I've chosen to keep up the formula. DS gets about 6-8 oz daily of formula, in addition to nurse 10+ times per day and eating solids 3x per day.

My personal reasoning for this is I feel that breastmilk/formula needs to be the majority of his diet until a year. I have read (and can't remember where, I could link you if I had time to search...) that babies this age need about 28-32 oz of breastmilk or formula each day, in addition to solids. I would be okay with him not taking formula anymore, and I know some people faced with this just go to cow's milk or goat's milk rather than continuing to use formula. I think it's all in what you feel comfortable with. While I think Dr Newman is right about alot of things, I disagree with him here.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
yeah, I disagree with it also.

I think I'd try

70% breastfed
20% Formula
10% solids. and by a year old I would cut the formula out and give all the breastmilk plus whatever solids.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shell_Ell
I was (am) in this situation, and I've chosen to keep up the formula. DS gets about 6-8 oz daily of formula, in addition to nurse 10+ times per day and eating solids 3x per day.

My personal reasoning for this is I feel that breastmilk/formula needs to be the majority of his diet until a year. I have read (and can't remember where, I could link you if I had time to search...) that babies this age need about 28-32 oz of breastmilk or formula each day, in addition to solids. I would be okay with him not taking formula anymore, and I know some people faced with this just go to cow's milk or goat's milk rather than continuing to use formula. I think it's all in what you feel comfortable with. While I think Dr Newman is right about alot of things, I disagree with him here.
We are in similar situations (well, my daughter is only 4 months, but no food, but already on 8oz formula/day and nursing all. the. time. including three times at night). I'd like to point out that formula is far superior nutritionally to both cow and goat's milk, so there is no reason at all to switch from from formula to either of those products because of a feeling that formula is evil. It's closer to breastmilk nutritionally, by quite a bit, than either plain cow or goat's milk. I agree with the posters here that formula should be continued and to just let food calorie intake increase on its own. -j

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am going through a similar situation. I have 7 month old twins. All was fine when I had them. I got super engorged and the doctor wanted me to supplement since the babies were not latching good and losing weight. I had lots of milk but they were just not suckling that great. Since I didn't want to have nipple confusion, I went on the SNS (like the Lact-Aid). I followed Madela's directions that eventually the babies would wean themselves off of it. Well, that never happened. They are now hooked on the tube and will not get off! They would nurse when they were younger without it. How I wish I would have just gotten them off! Now I can't. I have switched to the Lact-Aid because now they require so much milk. It was a lot having to re-fill the bottle to satisfy the babies. I wish I had knew about Dr. Newman's advice in how to use the Lact-Aid. I think we wouldn't be in this mess. I don't think I agree though with his advice about using solids first. I also have been concerned about the supply going down. I am going to nurse first, then feed the solids. I say with your little one, try to nurse first without the tube if he will do that. Then if he still seems hungry, slip in the tube and give him some more milk. Then feed him his solids. Try to give him less and less of the tube if possible. As long as he seems hydrated and getting good diapers, I would ditch the tube. The longer the time goes by, the harded it will be to get him off. I wish I had ditched it months ago. I think my babies would have built the supply up by nursing without the tube. If they were still hungry, I could have slipped in the tube to give them a little extra. Over time though, they would most likely have taken less. Has anyone here heard of how to get the babies off of the tube? I nursed two other for almost three years. So this has been a trial. I wish you well. Hopefully you will be able to ditch the tube too. If your babies will nurse without it, over time, they will build up your supply. Just make sure that you drink a lot of fluids.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts