Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SNS right now, bt keep hearing that LA is better. WHy? I usually use the SNS lying down so it is about level with the girls' head and you can see the supplment moving as she sucks. I considered doing as Dr. Newman does in his video with the tubing and a bottle, but see that making a huge mess if I knock it over. But maybe setting it on the floor? WHere would I get that kind of tubing??

Also, I'm in the process of getting some donor milk. It won't be enough for all girls, every feeding, though. I'm thinking of putting it in the SNS so they start associating the taste of bm with the breast. Good idea or is there a better way? The donor mom has about 200 oz frozen and pumps 5-10 oz a day extra. I'm thinking 1 full feeding of bm (5-6 oz) per girl per day so that the freezer stash will last a bit longer. Again good idea or more? Also, should I give the bm to them in small bits throughout the day or in one big feeding?

FYI the way we do it now is that they get their main meals with the bottle. I feed each girl with the SNS once a day and let them latch on as often as they and I can handle. I also pump when I can (I'm not religous about 3 hours, though, since they started latching on more often) and freeze what I get (usually 5-10 cc). I have 1 oz frozen and have been doing this 1 1/2 months. I usually pump 3-4 times a day and when I do it is power pumping.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I have used the feeding tube in the open bottle. You can also cut the nipple of a bottle a little wider and use that on top. It can be very messy. One wrong jerk and it is spilled. You have to keep an eye on it so that it stays under the level of liquid.

I have only used the SNS starter. I didn't like it.

I use Lact-Aids. My youngest is 22 months and we still are using the LA for nap time and night. She is okay nursing without it at other times. We are ttc and plan to tandem nurse with LAs. I think you get less air with the LAs. It is easier to nurse lieing down. I prepare a bunch ahead. Getting numerous systems is less expensive with the LA. It has worked really well for us.

I woudl try to get as many feedings on the breast and get the bottles cut out as much as possible.

mandy

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Hey! That is great to hear you are getting some donor milk! I've finally got a box of donor milk coming in on Saturday after almost two months without any so I am happy that my currently-non-nursing son will be getting more than the 1-2 oz per day I am able to express.

Quote:
I have a SNS right now, bt keep hearing that LA is better. WHy?
If the SNS is working ok for you, I think it is a decent system. I have not used the Lactaid -- but I think it is easier mainly because it uses disposable bags as opposed to the SNS with the plastic bottle you have to keep washing between uses.

Quote:
WHere would I get that kind of tubing??
I know I have seen it available on ebay...usually sold as an accessory package to the SNS.

Quote:
I'm thinking 1 full feeding of bm (5-6 oz) per girl per day so that the freezer stash will last a bit longer. Again good idea or more? Also, should I give the bm to them in small bits throughout the day or in one big feeding?
I've heard conflicting advice on this...some say just do the one feeding because the iron in formula may cause the iron in the breastmilk to not be as digestible; but others say to giving a small amount just before each bottle of formula so that the breastmilk can prep their stomach and help digest the formula. Personally, I add infant probiotics to all formula bottles to aid digestion and just do the breastmilk bottles separate -- it is easier and I've had good results.
It sounds like you are doing all you can with the nursing and the pumping -- just keep doing it plus eating oatmeal and taking whatever herbs are working for you.

Quote:
also pump when I can (I'm not religous about 3 hours, though, since they started latching on more often) and freeze what I get (usually 5-10 cc).
The only thing I would change is the freezing -- since you'll be getting frozen donor milk, you could probably go ahead and just mix whatever amount of fresh milk you get right into the bm bottles. Fresh milk is better -- having more antibodies etc.
Sounds like you are doing wonderfully! Above all, just enjoy the nursing...I beat myself up for months when I was hardly making any milk despite all that I was doing...but my babies never nursed until after 5 months. I wish I could just go back and enjoy bottle nursing them more than I did. Good luck!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I now have both an SNS and and Lact-aid.

SNS pros:
easier to fill
dont have to buy extra bags
has oz/ml markings on bottle

SNS cons:
have to clean the bottle after every use
big hard platic bottle
two tubes, one gets in the way if you arent useing it
longer tubes, if you dont cut them then there is more to get in the way or get tugged on by small wandering hands

Lact-aid pros:
nice soft bags
throw away bags instead of cleaning
can make up more bags to have on hand (donor mom could even pour her milk into the bags for you if shes/you are ok with that, then if you need to she can freeze the bags like that)

Lact-aid cons:
hard to fill
can throw away bags, but still need to clean tubeing every time

I really liked the Lact-aids because they only had one tube (no extra tube to get in the way or get pulled on) and I liked how it wasnt a big hard bottle. However I didnt like how hard they were to fill, it seemed like I was always spilling during filling. The SNS was nice on a long car trip recently. it was just much easier to fill on the road. I also like not having the extra waste of the bags.

if the sns is working for you then just keep it and save the money.

I think that the donor milk should go in the SNS (or lact-aid). Its less likely to clog that way.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have used both. I have twins. I like the SNS as far as convenience. It was much easier and didn't leak like the Lact-Aid. You can use a bottle brush in it to clean it. If you have an extra bottle and neck tie, you can keep that for spare when it is hard to clean. You can get lids that makes it nice for travel. You can order these extra parts from Madela. With nursing one, I think the double tubes is nice for switching from breast to breast. That will help to stimulate both breasts. You won't have to tape one side, then the next. It is harder for the babies to suckle properly without using the tape. The tube will slide, ect... It is easier though when not taped, to sneakily take it out. Try and get your babies to nurse without the tube as much as possible. My babies got hooked on it and won't nurse without it. I think Madela's directions are horrible in saying that the babies will eventually take less and less as the supply goes up. That never happened with me even though I did have a good supply.

The Lact-Aid comes in handy when your babies are bigger and require more formula or you are nursing older twins. It leaks though in travel. I have a system down now, so it isn't as hard as in the beginning. The support is wonderful from the company. Some people like it better since the bags are soft. It can get very costly buying the bags. Especially with twins! Sometimes I will nurse then throw the bags in the fridge and re-use with the next feed since the babies mouths were not directly on them but just the tube. That saves in using a bag per feed.

Good luck with it all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.