Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone giving their child any supplements in order to help with hypotonia? My daughter (as told in my earlier post) is 13 months old. At this point we haven't identified nor has she shown any symptoms of any other disorder/ disease etc besides for the hypotonia. She eats well - can feed herself and drink from a sippy cup. She is never constipated. Cognitively, one initial test (Bayley's Scale...) has put her at a little delayed but I'm not overly concerned with this given the poor prediction ability that the test has and all the other things that go along with this kind of testing (strange people, place, etc).<br><br>
So basically,the only thing I need the supplement to treat is mild hypotonia. Any suggestions that are for sure safe for babies? Any stories of benefit?<br><br>
thanks,Tina

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Well it depends on the underlying cause. My son's geneticist believes there is no such thing as benign hypontonia...just hypotonia that we don't yet have the testing to find the cause. My son in turns out does have a metabolic condition. So for him supplements to help his metabolic condition--especially high dose carnitine and co-q-10--were extremely helpful with his hypotonia. I know there are other hypotonic kids though who don't respond. While those two would be safe for a small child they aren't a cure all; it depends on the underlying cause. And if a child did respond to this I think it points to the underlying cause (metabolic, mitochondrial). You aren't mentioning other issues that my son did have so her issue is likely/hopefully different.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts