Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have battled with dep my whole life. now that im a new mommy it seems to be hitting even harder, i get so angry at times i could just throw things, then 2 seconds later im sobbing over nothing. what are some supplements that you have tried that have worked. I tried st johns wort when i was around 17 with no luck. my main concern is going on a script while still b/fin

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi I just wrote this hecka long thoughtful response to you and it got lost, so unfortunately, you're going to get the abbreviated response:
Basically it is this:
You are making some very difficult and very terriffic decisions about being a mom. You are very responsible and it is hard to do the right thing all alone. You need 30 minutes a few times a week to go for a nice walk (exercise is good for depression) or just be you without the baby. Ask partner or parent to do this for you. Tell them it is crucial that they give you this support. (not everyone can be a kangaroo mom)
You should consider budgeting for a few sessions with a therapist. Female MFT would be good b/c of her understanding of mom issues. If she is earthy crunchy, even better. Ask lactation consultant for a recommendation.
You may not need a supplement, rather, this support I mention above. I worry about the long term affects of any brain chemical influencing drug on a baby's developing brain precisely because of the depression issues I (and my brother) deal with. Having said that, I want to say that I wish I had someone tell me to do the above things. I also wish I had an avid breastfeeding supporter tell me that a baby is better off nursing for one year and having an alive and happy mommy than nursing for three and having a dead or seriously depressed mommy. Well, now you do have that. I nursed my child until he was three because I thought that was best for him. I almost didn't make it.
That's the abbreviated response.
Get help because that is what is best for your baby.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I hold this topic near and dear to my heart, as I've gone through it twice and have friends that have had to walk this road. It's not easy, but it can be beat!

I recently blogged about it w/ some specifics on foods and supplements that can help. Here's a link to that post.

Also, I've read up on herbal supplements, and have seen that St. John's Wort can be helpful. However, if you do end up taking any other meds be careful w/ supplements as they can counterreact.

I understand the concern of wanting to continue BFing even if you feel like you are going mad. It's like it's the one thing that gives you peace and a feeling of being worthwhile or useful. Personally, I was able to continue BFing while on an RX for Lexapro after having my DD2. It didn't seem to have any side effects on my DD2, and she is a healthy and thriving 2 1/2 yo that I cannot keep up with now.

I've read good things about Zoloft while BFing also (Mothering Mag. Article - Meds & BFing)
(see Dr. Sears article here)

While I don't think a prescription is the end-all answer for helping with PPD, I do believe that it's better than living in a pit of despair.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.