Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm nursing a 17-month old son and a 6-month old daughter. They both want to do most of their nursing at night, often at the same time (did I mention my back hurts?).

Unfortunately, while I can often feel my milk coming in during the day, I feel all dried up at night. Is this a supply issue or is it common that you don't make as much milk at night? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
My experience is that my milk gets pretty low in the early evening, and then around 3-5 a.m. I have the most milk of any time during the day. So if you're talking about the timeframe of 5 p.m. - midnightish, it makes sense that you make less milk during the day.

HTH! Hopefully someone more learned will reply.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
My experience with working with other nursing mothers is that after the 4-5 month mark many women feel less full and don't feel a let down. If baby is sucking happily, and is content after a feed, still have some of those bf baby poos, I don't know that I would be concerned. Is the 6 month old taking some foods now? That will lessen supply as the demand for just milk is now less.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Most women make less milk at night than they do earlier in the day. It's normal. It's also normal to feel less full and to stop feeling letdown at some point after the first couple months. You probably don't have to fix anything, just keep on keepin' on. Trust your body to make enough milk for both children. Try not to look for problems when your children aren't showing any signs of anything being wrong. You are doing a great job!!!

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nak
thanks for the input so far guys. one thing i forgot to mention that is pretty important to this post is, my son will try to nurse and i can't hear him swallowing. he gets really frustrated and starts hitting my chest as if i'm purposely holding out on him. that was my initial cause for concern. but he is eating well otherwise and my daughter is still having plenty of wet diapers and healthy BMs. she's not on solids yet for the person who asked...she's old enough, but not showing enough signs of readiness for my taste.

thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts