Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my michelle is 9 months on the 15th and my supply over the last 2 days has dwindled almost down to nothing! i am so upset i was looking forward to en but at 9 months to stop nursing is very upsetting to me.i have started taking fenugreek 3,2xday. should i increase it? is there anything else i can do to help the situation? could she be self weaning

any thought or advice would be great
tia
theresa

·
Registered
616 Posts
You might be getting AF back. I remember with DS I did the same thing when AF returned. But my milk supply came right back. How do you know your supply is down to almost nothing?

You might try posting on the breastfeeding board and see if you get some other responses.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
She's not weaning- she's far too young (as a rule humans don't wean before 2) Could your period be coming? Could you be pregnant?

Nurse like crazy- drink plenty of water, eat oatmeal.

good luck!

-Angela

·
Registered
3,968 Posts

oatmeal!!!!! that suff is magic and i second the period possibility.
keep us updated mama!! also im here if you just need someoneto talk to. PM me and ill give you my number

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just got done with af a couple of days ago.
i never even thought of that but even before that my supply had still started dipping so i guess i will eat oatmeal every morning and continue on with the fenugreek! does anyone know how long i should take the fenugreek?

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
You can keep taking the fenugreek as long as you are nursing. How do you know that your supply is dipping? Is your baby not gaining weight well? I would be very surprised if a 9-month-old self-weaned without there being any restrictions on nursing time, but it is a common age for babies to be somewhat less interested in nursing (especially during the day). If you're not already co-sleeping, I would try that out to see if she will nurse more in the night. The best way to increase your supply, if it truly is low, is to nurse more. Usually once they hit 12 months, babies start nursing with more frequency (often as frequently as newborns), and keep it up at least until 18 months or so.

Good luck mama!

Lex

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
A good calcium/magnesium supplement can also help menstrual-related supply issues. If fenugreek alone won't cut it, I like tinctures that have other galactalogues in them (like blessed thistle and goat's rue.) I use one called "Nursing Mother's Blend" from Kerrysherbals.com I also like More Milk Plus (which you can find at most natural food/medicine places.)

Up your fenugreek in the meantime - try three/three times a day. When your sweat and urine smell like maple syrup, you're taking enough.

·
Registered
124 Posts
hey! what makes you thiknk your supply is low? i have a 9 mos dd and i've also noticed a difference in my milk. i used to have intense letdowns and soak through anything i was wearing but lately it's not like that. i plan on nursing for a long time so it's hard not to be concerned. my baby is gaining weight though and is very healthy but it's still weird!

i drink a lot of fenugreek and it usually helps. and i'm going to try the oatmeal too!
good luck

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
In most cases, with a regularly nursing baby, milk supply is fine.

According to Kellymom:

Quote:
Many mothers have concerns about milk supply after the early weeks because they notice a drop in pumped amounts or they notice that their breasts feel "soft" or "empty". It is normal for your breasts to feel mostly soft after the first weeks, although if there has been a long stretch without nursing or pumping they might feel a little full and heavy.

The feeling of fullness (sometimes even engorgement) that nursing mothers notice during the early weeks of breastfeeding is really not the norm at all, but means that mom's breasts haven't yet adjusted to the amount of milk that baby needs. At some point, typically around 6-12 weeks (if a mom has oversupply it may take longer), your milk supply will begin to regulate and your breasts will begin to feel less full, soft, or even empty. You may stop leaking, you may stop feeling let-down (or feel it less), and if you pump you may notice that you're not getting as much milk. This doesn't mean that milk supply has dropped, but that your body has figured out how much milk is being removed from the breast and is no longer making too much. This change may come about gradually or seem rather sudden.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/breast-fullness.html

If baby is nursing and you're taking decent care of yourself - most women normally maintain supply sufficient for baby's needs. If baby has plenty of wet and poopy dipes and is gaining weight - you're producing plenty of milk!

Supply can drop a bit with the return of AF or premenstrually, but (as I mentioned upthread) a good cal/mangesium supplement can help.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enudely
why oatmeal? I'm scared of this happening to me! Should I be taking Fenugreek? ( and what is it?) dd is 4 months and nursing fine
Oatmeal increases supply for many women (a bowl a day is usually good)

Don't worry about things happening if you're not having trouble. Just keep nursing

-Angela

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.