Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Thread is for Anyone one feels the need for ongoing or one time support regarding sleep issues.
Here is the link to first thread...
Previous Thread

Beware RANT ahead!!!
Hello ALL
DS and I had a rough night last night and the night before. I feel a little desperate today. Most days I feel I can handle the sleep issues but today I feel that these issues will continue to get worse if I can't get some kind of handle on DS's sleep issues. I really think we need more routine, which has, of course, been imposible the last few weeks. DH is out buying the NCSS, since he watches DS all day I really need his support with this. I hope we can try to follow through with something. We have good go to bed routine but no set times because he is variable with nighttime sleep and daytime naps. I tried to do my own log but I just don't have time with work. Again I hope DH can try some of this stuff, I want to do but can't.
Last night DS would not go to sleep. I think there were multiple issues. He was overtired, teething?, and needed to poop. I got so frustrated. I nursed - no go - bouncy chair - no go- nursed again - almost asleep and woke up (I wanted to go watch a movie) - swaddled - he pooped - I gave him to DH - got him to sleep - He woke after about 45min. - DH brought him downstairs - I nursed him again - He crashed until the fireworks - He nursed and used me as human paci for the rest of the night.
I know I'll feel better since the holidays are over now. We WILL get a routine. I don't think its important for all kids but I think it will help DS some. It will also help when I go to sleep with him but nothing helps on those nights when he tosses and turns all night. I can handle the short play period but being woken up with less than 1 hour of sleep consequetively is killer.

· Registered
81 Posts
HI! My dd is about 14 mos. and has always been a light sleeper and frequent waker. We co sleep w/ the crib side carred to our bed for extra room. DD lately wakes every 45 min to 1 hour. Being as sleep deprived as I am, is the hardest challenge I've ever had. I'm a light sleeper too, so when dd wakes to nurse or to just cry, I work at getting her back to sleep and then I lay there trying so hard to go back to sleep myself. Then I do finally fall asleep and 15 min pass and she wakes me again. This has been going on this serioulsy since this bout of teething. On a good night, she will sleep 1 1/2 to 2 hrs w/o waking.

Dh and I have thought of other possible scenarios, all of which just don't seem worth it. Were going to have to stick this out because it feels right to me by having her so close while she sleeps.

Lately when she wakes she nurses mostly, or cries uncontrolably and is very hard to console. I usually end up rocking her on my chest in bed till she falls asleep and then gently try and move her off me w/o waking her. Which she almost always wakes and then we start all over again. I try to lay close sometimes and pat her and say sh sh sh, but she'll have nothing to do with that- she knows all to well that's not how she gets back to sleep.

The last couple of days I have told myself that I know I am tired, but this can't last forever. If she needs me when she wakes, it's for a reason. We will get through this stage together, hopefully w/o permanent dark circles under my eyes :LOL

It's nice to have this thread to visit. I don't usually have much time for computer during the day, but will rant from time to time before I go to bed.

· Registered
200 Posts
It's so good to read others stories! My 12mth girl still co-sleeps with us. It was going good for a while but we resently moved and everything changeg. At our old house I could put her to sleep in her own bed(right beside ours) and she would wake in the middle of the night and come into bed with us.

But now that we moved to a new house and place everything is up in the air1 And then their's the teething..... I am very understanding that we move to a new place and this means that she has to get used to it, and I need to give her time. But our nights just dont get any longer...

Like many others we where told that at her age she should be sleeping in her own bed, and that we should let her cry, she will get used ti it. But this is against everything we beleive.

I guess things just get better with time. THis is what I tell myself when I am nursing my girl in the middle of the night, exhausted from a long day!!!

But above all nothing is more rewarding then the smile she gives me in the morning when she wakes me up!!!!!!

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome,
Heather and Saki!!!

Heather - I always feel bad for lightsleepers who have trouble getting back to sleep. I usually go back to sleep pretty easily but I am a light sleeper.

Saki - Sounds like your DD is going through some transitions.

I am so glad that we can support eachother with co-sleeping and sleeplessness. I too love co-sleeping and know it is the best for baby. Especially the two nights when DS slept great and I would wake up to normal night stirring and see him cuddled next to me. We got NCSS (No Cry Sleep Solution). I think it has some really good ideas but doesn't address some of specific sleep problems DS is having. DS had a horrible night last night. I don't he finally went to sleep until about 3 am. He failed and fussed on and off untill then. I think he had too much solid food and got gas and a big disruption in the routine. I hope we can get a routine started soon.

· Premium Member
20,157 Posts
I'm not feeling too bad, just wanted to check in.

DD is sleeping great
Last night she took less than 30 minutes of cuddle w/me before falling asleep (this was, of course, after 45 minutes of cuddle & reading w/DH, LOL).

DS fell asleep QUICK. He was up every couple hours (didn't get the first three hour stretch like the night before) but it's going well.

We started a new "plan" on Monday. DD often has 9am class, which we have been struggling with since September. Well, Monday we woke at 7. DS nursed to sleep around 8:45 (so, just over 11 hours of sleep) last night and DD fell asleep right before 10 and was awake before the alarm (so right around 9 hours). We're doing pretty good.

It definately DOES get easier!!!

· Registered
2,758 Posts
Hey everyone, we are doing great. Dd1 is sleeping so much better. I hope I don't jink ourself. Last night she woke up 2x and she was easy to put back to sleep. And two nights before that she slept thru. YAY!!!!!! I can see a bit of lights thru the tunnel. DD2, has been going about 3hrs-4hrs between nursing at night for the past couple of days. Better than the wk before x-mas where she woke up every 2hrs. It also doesn't take too much time that she is back in bed too. 30min max.

Today I feel more rested. I hope it continue. Well, it will until the time when one or both are sick or an special event come and destroys their routine.

Got to go, dd2 is crying.

· Registered
2,758 Posts
*Bump*

We had an o.k. night. Dd1 slept well, she woke up one. That I know.

Dd2 didn't sleep well. She was up for 2hrs. I guess something was buging her.

How is everyone???

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi All,
We have had 2 good nights of sleep. DS got too tired yesterday because we had appointments. He took an hour or more to settle down for a nap.
That horrible night of the 3rd really got me down. It took me two days to recover because I was really busy at work too.
Sandrine - Sorry DD2 had a rough night
Tired-Good luck with the new plan

· Registered
12,093 Posts
We've been doing well, except for two recent bad nights. One almost a week ago at the ILs who thought it was the end of the world, and one last night. I was looking forward to having a good night of sleep last night because DH stayed home today for my bday, but it was not to be.

· Registered
2,535 Posts
...this thread is a good idea. i'm so tired today. dh has left the family bed to get some sleep and although he's not complaining i can sense that he feels neglected.
our sleep story: ds#2 is 7 months now. he finally started napping well, most days he will take a humungous nap of 2-3 hs and 1-2 little ones. some days he won't nap, or will only catnap. but that's ok, i can see light at the end of the tunnel. it's the nights that are starting to really get to me. i try to put him down at around 7:30. that can take about 1/2 hr. then he wakes up every 15 mins for the next 1-2 hrs. sometimes he wakes up 15 after i put him down and is wide awake til 9:30. i've tried putting him down later, but he's extremely tired come 7pm and i can't keep him up longer.
once he's finally asleep at around 9:30 he'll sleep til maybe 12 and then wakes up every 1-2 hrs if it's a good night. if it's a bad night he wants to stay latched all night, he waves his arms and grunts. if i'm lucky he'll sleep another 2 hr stretch between 5 and 7 am. that's when ds#1 wakes up (he sleeps thru in his crib since about 6 mos ago
). the baby might sleep til 8 or get up with us at this point.
i've noticed it's definately easier to get him to sleep when i swaddle him and rock/nurse him to sleep. i don't really want him to stay swaddled all night though cuz i'm afraid he'll roll around.
one of the worst things for me is lieing in bed with him between 8 and 10. dh goes to bed early, cause his day starts at 4am, ds#1 is sleeping and i desperately need that baby to sleep, so i can finally wah dishes, pick up around the house, make dh's lunch and maybe squeeze in an hr of me-time. so i lie there nursing the baby and i constantly fall sleep. i'm starting to despise it.
i am so tired.

· Registered
3,365 Posts
My ds is 22months. He sleeps w/ us. He spent the first 10 months of his life w/no sleeping.He NEVER took a nap. He maybe napped for an hour or two at night. I'm JUST getting over that! He now (usually, I'd guess 4outof 7 days) naps for an hour. He's sleeping better at night yet still nurses often. I tried to night wean but I'd rather have someone drive hot pokers into my eyeballs then hear him whine or cry ever again (he only cried 24/7 for his first year+ of life... I cannot deal with the crying.), so--- I nurse and store my resentment fo rpunsihing him when he's a teen LOL!

I have a cold today. I think he's fighting getting one so last night and all day today he's only nursed. NO food (not that that's unusual- he often goes days w/ no food.... gotta love that
: ) just breastmilk. He's attached to me. I feel like I just want to throp him on the ground and be done with it! TOOO SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEPY.

Ugh. My sleepless vent.

· Registered
81 Posts
Hello All,

Just checking in. I never have much time for computer, as dd is tuggin at my leg now and now on my lap. Dd's Ped appointment yesterday went well. No ear infections. Good healthy child. He did explain to us that nursing all night long turns dd's metabolism around, which makes her wake up when she should be sleeping. This makes sense to me. He didn't tell us to completely wean her at night, but rather not to feed her say between 12 to 5-6 am. And that dh would have to be the one to get her back to sleep when she wakes. We are going to try this out for about 10 days .
Ok- dd is now napping. I promise it takes me all day to write one entry. :LOL

Last night I put her down at 9 and nursed her at least 3-4 times before 12 am. Then at 12, dh layed by her and I went to his side of the bed. She woke several times and he got her back to sleep each time. Then at 3 I nursed her for just a minute. Then again at 6 am. She woke so many times and barely slept at all throughout the night. I had to rock her on my chest almost always, and when she was asleep I tried to transfer her w/o waking her but that didn't happen. She woke each time and I had to start all over again.

Now, I really wanted to nurse because it is way easier than waking all the way up and rocking her and waiting for her to fall asleep. But she actually didn't seem to want to nurse. She just wakes up and has trouble falling back to sleep. I think because it's easier for me, I nurse and she doesn't really need it. I am so tired today, as well as dh. My eyes burn every time I blink.

I should be napping right now, but by the time I doze off (I can't fall all the way asleep cause I know she will be waking after 45 min) she will be awake.

Our Pediatrition's thoughts on this sleep plan were similar to those of Dr.Jay Gordons. I will try real quick to find the website for you, as it's very much worth reading. Ok here it is http://drjaygordon.com/ap/sleep.htm
He's in to AP, co sleeping etc.

Tell me what you think-

Zoe- Thank you for starting this thread, it helps to be able to rant about our nights. Some might think it's a negative thread, but it helps to share what we have in common and share ideas, since we all here are sleep deprived

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah,
I don't like to be negative but life can be so rough when your dealing with child sleep issues. I just really felt like I needed support from a group of people who co-sleep and don't CIO. I have had several nights when trying to get DS to sleep and I got sooooooooo frustrated. I hate it. I never get frustrated at DS for anything else but sleeping is just... AHHHHHHHHH!
Heather - is DD actually nursing? I found last night when I gave DS the breast he usually just wanted to latch on and then he went back to sleep. He sometimes nursed but only because I have overactive let down and comfort nursing will bring it on. If he just latches and doesn't suck-no let down
Welcome Kimberly and Annika-Sounds like you both had some rough nights.
Kimberly - Hang in there. I feel your pain and frustration
Annika- I used to swaddle too but DS gets to hot eventhough the bedroom is cold.
Lisa- Sorry you didn't get a good night sleep for your Birthday. That would have been a really nice present.

Gotta love those Good nights
Another thing I did... DS started to wake-up and flail around but I laid him down and said it was sleepy time. He lay there fussing for a min. and then fell asleep. He rolled over on his tummy without much blanket. I think he was too hot. I wonder if he wakes up a lot because he's too hot. I was awake last night and couldn't go back to sleep. So I have to be sympathetic for DS when he has those nights too. Gave me time to reflex on sleeping. I think going to sleep with DS is too early for me and I wake up too early. Ok, I gotta stop talking now.

· Registered
81 Posts
Zoe-

Yes, most of the time DD is actually nursing. I too have a rapid let down reflex, so each time she latches on the milk comes pouring in after just a few sucks. But dd sometimes unlatches herself and rolls over and goes to sleep. So I believe she has no choice but to nurse each and every time I nurse her, even if it's only meant for comfort.

Has anyone checked out Dr. Gordons website yet?

· Registered
457 Posts
Hi, reading all your posts makes me feel alot less alone.

My ds is 17 months old and sleeps with me. My dh sleeps on the couch (his choice, and he rarely helps me with ds at night). Ds will wake 2-4 times and take only 15-30 minutes to get back to sleep with my help on good nights. On bad nights he is up every 1 1/2 to 2 hours, whining and kicking and rolling around until I help him go back to sleep - which can sometimes take an hour!
:

I either nurse him, sing to him and rub his back, or I have to play his lullaby cd and walk around with him on my shoulder (which kills my arms and back!) and then hope I can put him back on the bed without him waking up! Last night was awful, he must have woke 6 times. And I have to go to work in the morning!

I have read Dr. Jay Gordon, Dr. Sears, and NCSS but every time ds is teething (like now) he sleeps really poorly regardless of what I do for the teething discomfort. He has not "slept through" the night since he was 2-3 months old (before teething). I refuse to CIO and night weaning will leave me so exhausted in the morning while doing it. I think I will take some vacation time when I get my vacation time back again and try Dr. Gordon's method.

I also have problems with insomnia, because sometimes after getting him to sleep I can't fall back to sleep! I think someone on this thread posted a similiar problem.

Some days I think I will just have to resign mysefl to the fact that I may not get a good nights sleep until ds is 3 years old or more

I really don't know how I function at all some days....

Roxanne
Daniel 8/9/03

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DH is putting DS to bed now. He has done much better for DH the last few times he put him down. During his last nap with me cried off and on for quite some time. He kept screaming intermittently like he was in pain but I think he was just too sleepy. DH may have take over all the sleepy times, ahh darn (sarcasim).
Welcome Roxanne:
- I am having a few good nights right now but I am sure that tough nights will return when DS starts teething again. He teeth take forever to brake through and he has only been getting one at a time. I hope you find the support you need here.
Heather- I looked at the link/article. It looks very good but tough. If you can handle the crying. Unlike NCSS it admits that you may have to endure some crying. I also like that he says it's not for babies under a 12mo and that if at anytime it doesn't feel right to stop.

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well that didn't work.
I ended up putting DS to sleep, oh well. He had a lot of trouble sleeping in the morning hours. Nursing and laying him down didn't help much. He'd go to sleep for a very short time and wake up again. I feel like this pattern is going to last forever. I couple of good nights and few rough nights, again, Oh well.
I have to say I get irritated
at people who are just tired of nursing 3-4 times a night and their babies go right back to sleep.
: That would be heavenly to me.
I'll try not to critical because I don't live there life.

Anybody trying something to new to get better sleep?

· Registered
457 Posts
Nothing new here. I put ds down at 7 PM (he falls asleep ok most nights) but he was woken twice already by 9 PM
: .

I had read that if you move up the bedtime they sleep better - well that never seems to work for me (sigh). I'll be going to bed with him shortly and hope he gives me at least one 2 hour stretchof sleep and that I don't have to walk him to sleep tonight.

I feel like putting his crib matress out on the floor next to the couch where dh sleeps and putting ds to sleep on it when he wakes in the night. Then dh can walk him to sleep instead of me! :LOL But that would never work, ds usually only wants me at night when he wakes.
If my dh had got more invovlved when ds was younger then maybe I could enlist his help, now he only helps on the REALLY bad nights wen ds cries inconsolably (but that is rare).

Good luck all, hope you are getting some sleep tonight!

Roxanne
Daniel 8/9/03

· Registered
3,440 Posts
2:19am
Checking in.

It's been rough lately with teething and all. DS was such a great sleeper (never "through the night" but much longer stretches) until teething. Normal... I know. I have been dealing with the every hour wakings and trekking through. He naps great 2 times a day so that makes up for it.

BUT tonight is different. I have the FLU. I have been working all weekend (I work from home, but I have a tight deadline- sigh) and DS is waking every 20 minutes or so. I am coughing and sneezing and wheezing and I finally broke down and begged DH to comfort DS so I could get -oh maybe 15 minutes of shut eye. Well, DH called me selfish and said I was the grown up and if DS needed me I should put him first! He said all I have to do is roll over and offer the boob and why was that so hard?!
: If I wasn't so sick and tired I would of slugged him!
I burst into tears, nursed DS back to sleep (for the 80th time tonight) and left the bedroom. So here I am.

DH has sinced apologized and said he was just tired and not clear on what was happening (HE's tired? I've been listening to him happily snore all night)
I am still ticked at him though.
:

Poor DS is obviously uncomfortable. I don't know if it's the teething or if he is coming down with something?? He starts whining, eyes still closed, and thrashes madly around for the boob. He'll often nurse only for a few minutes or even seconds and then he's down again. 15 minutes later he starts again. I wish he'd have a nice long nurse and "top off" and hopefully sleep longer.
When he's done nursing I will roll over so my back is towards him, and then he scooches all the way towards me and pins me against the wall. I get hot and squished and stuck and have to wake DH and ask him to give up some precious real estate on his side and move DS over so I can roll back on my back.
Sorry for the rant. I am tired and sick and touched out.

And to add salt to the wound is hearing my formula fed (sorry FF ma's), crib sleeping, CIO friends brag about how their babes sleep through the night. I just smile and say "us too" with telltale bags under my eyes.
sigh.
Thanks for starting this thread!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.