Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to go in for surgery in the beginning of the year. I'll be in the hospital for at least a day, and maybe three.

I'll be talking to the pre-op people to see how much I need to pump for the anaestetic to be out of my system.

However, if I have to be in for a few days I need to have the baby in with me. He's just about a month old now.

Anybody been in this situation, and do you have any tips on how to get this done? I've already made it fairly clear that I'm a breastfeeding mommy of a newborn, and my gyn is the person who delivered him and the hospital is usually pretty good about this stuff. But I want to be pro-active and make it easy for them to just do what I want. Keep him in the room with me if I have to be admitted for a couple of days.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
yes, it can be done!!

i had surgery in feb. when dd was 3 1/2 months old. in all of my preop appointments i made sure that everyone knew that i was a nursing mother. the anesthesiologist said that anything they gave me would be the same that they give to c-section mothers so nursing shouldn't be a problem. i wanted to keep dd overnight with me because she wasn't taking a bottle, and i had to go pretty high up to get approval but once i did, they were very accommodating. we had a private room, dh stayed with us in a cot and dd coslept with me.

when i was wheeled out of recovery, the nurse freaked out saying that i shouldn't breastfeed, but a quick call to my midwife who went over all of the drugs that they gave me and assured me that all was well.

especially if the hospital that you're having surgery touts itself as a breastfeeding/baby friendly hospital, you should have no problems with your child staying with you. if they give you a hard time, definitely speak to the head of maternal/child services.

please feel free to pm if you have any more questions, and health and speedy recovery to you!!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demeter9 View Post
I have to go in for surgery in the beginning of the year. I'll be in the hospital for at least a day, and maybe three.

I'll be talking to the pre-op people to see how much I need to pump for the anaestetic to be out of my system.

However, if I have to be in for a few days I need to have the baby in with me. He's just about a month old now.

Anybody been in this situation, and do you have any tips on how to get this done? I've already made it fairly clear that I'm a breastfeeding mommy of a newborn, and my gyn is the person who delivered him and the hospital is usually pretty good about this stuff. But I want to be pro-active and make it easy for them to just do what I want. Keep him in the room with me if I have to be admitted for a couple of days.
I dont see why you would have to pump and dump because the same anest. they use for your surgery is the same thing they use for csections under GA. And those moms can nurse when they are out of recovery. Some anest. will tell you 24 hrs to CYA but its really not necessary. As soon as you feel up to it, I dont see why you cannot nurse. You may need to pump until then, but maybe not. It will just depend.

I would talk to your ped or FP or OB about signing off on you breastfeeding after your surgery or just to do it. Have someone to stay in the hospital room with you and your baby because the nurses cannot be responsible for him while he is in your room with you should you need help with him.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
I agree c section mom's bfed right after even after GA so I dont see why you would need to pump and dump. I hope your surgery goes well and you are only there a day. I hate staying in the hospital those beds are just to hard.
:

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
They may require you to have another adult with you to be responsible for the baby since the baby isn't being admitted. I had my dh stay with me and he was responsible for our son officially, and I nursed him.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Holy Moly - the excuses I heard today.

The VERY best was how it would expose him to sickness. Then why the hell did I give birth to my baby there??!??

I have never heard such a collection of excuses that are all basically, we don't want to be liable. Oy.

As to the breastfeeding - these people are medical experts? How is it that they are under the impression that bm works like a cup and what goes in has to be spilled out if it is "bad?"

So, I have a consult with the anesth. because I tend to be resistant.

I have a feeling we are going to hope I get out the next day - and if not, my husband is just going to come with the baby and I'm not letting him leave again.

The hospital seems to be under the impression I was asking their PERMISSION, when in reality I was just giving them some options on how it could happen.
:

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
This is something i wrote on another board... it was refering to a gall bladder surgery and hospital stay. The baby was 6 weeks old and we were there 5 days. We live in Canada.

when i had mine out (gallbladder) i told them they were admitting the baby with me... no ifs ands or buts... i got a private room on the surgery floor... they brought the pump up when ever i requested it and gave me containers to pump into!

The also brought a crib up for us (although she was 6 weeks and more comforatble in her carseat) and the hubby got to spend the 5 days i was in there with us... they even brought him in a mat and "made the bed" for him! It was a much better experience than when we had the baby!

Plus we had a couple nurses that would hang out in our room because the other ppl on the floor were cranky..... We had the same couple over the 5 days so it was FANTASTIC! and the night nurses were always happy that they got the room with the "baby"!

And the baby even had her own admittence form in with my medical binder... people were constantly asking why the form was there... but she left the hospital a time or two as well nurses never said anything and for the most part i think they thought she was downstairs for a walk.

Also they were well aware of my drug requests (as i didn't not want anything i couldn't BF on) and made sure to double and triple check with mother babe about the drugs. and the doctors would check another couple times. Nothing went into my body that i couldn't BF with even during and after surgery. They even checked AFTER the surgery as well.

I did pump and dump my first one tho anyways...

Oh and on a side note... lol the one nurse was SOOOO great that i had... she even understood that i had a tounge ring and actually tried to put it back in FOR ME!

It didn't work as it had been out for too long... but where do you get that kind of service!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
You have been given great info, just a though if they are worried about baby "picking something up" from being in the hospital ask that after the surgry that you be put into the maternity/post-natal area. They are familiar with surgury patence there and are likey to have less "bug" floating around then a general surgical ward.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts