Okay, airborne allergies run rampant in our family (DH has them bad, his dad does, my mom does, though she always blames hers on her mother's smoking habits...). So, when we got DD tested for allergies, we were rather expecting her to be allergic to all things furry and pollen-producing, possibly molds as well, etc.
Nope. The only things she showed reaction to on the allergen blood test were: peanuts, egg whites, and codfish.
So we're doing an elimination diet. Since these are postnasal drip/itchy eye allergies and not anaphylaxis type, do I need to worry at this point about things manufactured in the same plant as peanuts, etc., or just get the obvious out of her diet (peanut butter on French toast, for example)?
Also, should we eliminate all egg, or would egg yolks be okay? (I'm kind of thinking we should eliminate them all, since after the last time she ate ice cream she hurled--we just didn't know what in the ice cream set her off).
The reaction to peanuts and shellfish get worse with each exposure. Furthermore, the hope to outgrowing those allergies is complete avoidance. I would advise strict avoidance on the peanuts.
IME when my dd was allergic to wheat corn, eggs, etc etc, small amounts of exposure tended to yield limited reactions and we were able to manage the allergies without the constant vigilance we have to have with the peanuts.
Allergies, regardless of food or airborn are the same kinds of body reactions on the IgE level. So, it's not surprising that there are allergies in the family, non-food related.
Depending on age, however, the blood test and the skin test are both faulty. You can have false positives with a blood test and false negatives with the skin test and visa versa.
Skin testing might be a good way to either back up the blood test or get another opinion. Although I really like the blood test b/c it gives a quantitative number to associate w the level of allergy.
Throwing up is definitely an allergic reaction. Someone in our local Food Allergy Support group had their son throw up after eating was was supposed to be allergy free sorbet, but was cross contaminated with the ice cream scoop that was used to serve everyone else ice cream.