Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
We have supplies stored away because we live in Tzfat, Israel, a town which has been shot with Katyusha rockets for the past month, ending three days ago. They could start again at any time so we have a box of goods in case we need to leave quickly. I want to add more to the box though..

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I'm so angry. I just wrote a long post and Mothering and an error and I lost it. So I'll leave out the preliminaries, which, unlike usual, were useful and interesting. Here are some great links:

www.lehmans.com One of my favorite online stores of all time. Their Brick&Mortar store serves the Amish and sells some Amish-made items. They are a non-electric store, including no-battery-required toys and games, books and how-to manuals, gardening and farming and camping supplies, gas refrigerators and stoves, old fashioned wash boards and apple-cider presses and axes and hand-carts and oil lamps and even a foot-powered sewing machine.They are awesome.

http://www.endtimesreport.com/ Store with great resources and recipes

http://www.homemakingcottage.com/self/ links and articles

http://www.renolds.org/famprepare.html Preparedness Program Each time you complete a level you get a certificate (well, you print it off yourself, but still)

http://www.providentliving.org/chann...1706-1,00.html The LDS church's food storage and emergency prep webpages.

I suggest everyone starting with learning about and storing water because it is most vital for surviving. Store some in your house, your car, some back-packs for a quick exit, and if you work, at your desk.

I'll write more later when I'm not still bitter about losing my other post.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Great links!
We have a stockpile of MREs and my newest venture is learning how to can. Of course, if we need to flee, the MREs are more portable.

I'd like to learn candle making too.

As far as the water storage goes, we have one of the heavy duty portable filters that we can use anywhere. We have lots stored here but it's all in PLASTIC which I hate. I'd like to learn about a healthier alternative to water storage long term.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
yk, they're really not that bad. Of course I have only tried a *tiny* bit of scrambled eggs and bacon and one dessert. The dessert was chocolate cake w/raspberry sauce & it was good! They're really not loaded w/crap either and dh found some that are actually gluten-free and without junk in them. (Of course, if we were in a situation where we needed to sustain ourselves on them I probably wouldn't be sweating over a few preservatives here or there.)

My dad used to buy them when I was a girl and it'd be a big deal to eat the MRE pancakes on a Saturday morning.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddess3_2005
How scary! I can't imagine being there at a time like this.

Can you share what you keep in your box and what you have found usefull to have being in your situation?
Well I'm embarassed to share what's in our box right now because we're not done with it. But I will anyway.

There are two possible situations - one where we can leave the house and one where we can't. We're mostly prepared to be able to leave our house. I threw in some nonperishable foods, like dried lentils and peas and some cans of tuna (with a can opener
) There are also diapers (sposies) and wipes for DS. We need to pack some large bottles of water and some clothing as well though.

There's still tons of room in there for more stuff!
Hopefully we won't need to use it though..

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshinestarr
Well I'm embarassed to share what's in our box right now because we're not done with it. But I will anyway.

There are two possible situations - one where we can leave the house and one where we can't. We're mostly prepared to be able to leave our house. I threw in some nonperishable foods, like dried lentils and peas and some cans of tuna (with a can opener
) There are also diapers (sposies) and wipes for DS. We need to pack some large bottles of water and some clothing as well though.

There's still tons of room in there for more stuff!
Hopefully we won't need to use it though..
Do you have your visas/passports/birth certificates/bank statements/insurance stuff in there?

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
NOoooo! Don't kill the thread!

I love this stuff. Unfortunately, I don't have as much time as I'd like reading about it all but I WILL get around to it!

Oh, that made me think:
Do you all have a really really good first aid kit in your *boxes*?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Canning cheese is easy!

Take clean sterelized canning jars (use the
straight side one or you'll have a super tough time getting the cheese out.

Cube cheese, fill up the jar and add it to simmering water that comes about
3/4 the way up the jar. Make sure you simmer, the slower you melt the
better, Faster= gross cheese and oil mixture.

Also use good quality cheese, I preffer Tillamook.

And no American Cheese slices, velvetta, or other fake
cheeses, it dosen't contain the ensyms etc needed to keep it fresh and you
will get sick eating this stuff home canned. Can we say botulism? LOL

Add cubes of cheese as it melts untill you have avout 1/2 inch space left at the top.

Clean the rims of the jars really good before you put the lids on because any cheese or oil will prevent the lids from sealing. Water bath can for 10 minutes, and set out on a cabinent covered with a towel to cool. The cheese with be good pretty much indefinately untill you open it. The longer you store it though the
sharper and more funky cheese flavor you will achieve.

When they make cheese its stored on a shelf without refridgeration
for years at a time. The point of canning is just to remove the air, not to
kill the bacteria, you want the bacteria. Cheese is naturally acidic so it will
keep fresh this way. You can also dip you cheese in wax and achieve the same thing. The problem with wax is is can get dented and can melt under high temps.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had always wanted to can butter so I tried a reciepe I found online. Followed the reciepe exactly and end up with spoiled butter 6 months later. I found it was becasue it was a combination of the processing and the process. After trial and error I have found the best way to can butter. Its shelf stable opened for 1 year unopened indefinately.

I do it about 4 pound of butter at a time, but you could do as much or little as you want.
I found my instuction for making ghee on food network.

In a heavy skillet, over medium to medium low heat, heat butter until completely melted. Watch as butter boils, first with large bubbles and white milk solids floating on the surface, then with only a fine white foam filling entire surface. Stir occasionally.

Soon small patches of golden brown will appear on the surface, and overall color of butter will change from yellow to golden. Push aside foam periodically to check color of sediment. When sediment turns light brown, remove from heat (see note).

Decant into a jar with a tight lid. Warm, if desired, for serving over rice.

Note: If you heat until sediment turns dark brown, ghee will lose its flavor and taste like vegetable oil

Take your ghee and put it in a butter bell for immediate use or fill up canning jars leaving a head room, wipe the rims clean(veryimportant because any oil will keep the lids from sticking) Process in a 10 minute water bath. Remove and let cool for 8-10 hour untill the butter solidifys. This too is important because if the liquid butter seeps under the rim you won't have a good seal either.

Another fun variation is to fill the bottom of your jars 1/2 full of honey before you add the butter. Then when you open the jar you stir it up for some yummy honey butter.

Hope you all have fun canning butter!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.