Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Oh, you mean on TLC? I haven't seen it yet (I tivo it). Will it piss me off?

·
Registered
922 Posts
oh, I missed it...I saw that there was going to be an older baby nursing...the commercial for it had some other mother say something like "are you going to let her nurse when she's 5 and asking for it??"...I wanted to watch, even though I can't stand the show! What did the "expert" say??

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
found it.

Quote:
Weaning: Marqueta's Story

Marqueta is still breastfeeding her 18-month-old daughter, but feels it's time to wean her from the breast. She doesn't know how to wean without making her daughter & herself miserable. The moms debate the appropriate length of time to breastfeed.
It won't be on again until August 28th.

ETA: they're making comments at only 18 months??? Next cover of babytalk idea... a 4 year old nursing. Now THAT will give them something to talk about

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I want to see that...even though I will get pissed off. 18 months...haha my 11 month old nurses all day, I can't imagine thinking of weaning an 18 month old.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
If I went on that show and those women were giving me crap about nursing a 1 year old, 18 month old, 2 or even 3 year old, I'd just flat out ask them "There are plenty of good reasons for extended nursing... so why shouldn't I? I can sit here all day and tell you why...more security and self-confidence, self-esteem and independence, comfort, nutritional value, antibodies, a special bond only we two can share... Tell me WHY not? What reason could there be to NOT follow the recommendations of the AAP, WHO, and UNICEF?" If they gave me that "It makes them dependent" or "It'll turn them gay" or "It's just weird" I'd tell them what's what, I tell you! Why would anyone even go on that show anyway, especially for something like this that is obviously proven by medical professionals to be a great decision for a child? Who cares about what other people think? What matters is if it's best for the child, not if it's taboo.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I'll have to watch it tonight.

What did the expert say?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I saw the weaning portion, I was shocked at some of the comments from the mothers. With low breastfeeding rates from the African Community, I am surprised that the network didn't try and give a broader view on the benefits of not only breastfeeding for six months, but longer.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I despise that show. I think it actually makes me more stupid every time I tune in for the five seconds I can until I become enraged and change the channel violently (involves pressing remote buttons with excessive force).

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
the mothers got on her about still bf, the expert told her to wean and that it was more the mom wanting a bonding with her girl, not for her daughters needs.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I don't like that show either. Basically, it's always a mother that has made a parenting choice different from the norm...and pretty much, everyone sits around judging her, challenging the choice, and acting like she's an idiot...then they give her advice to help her out. If it was just... a mom had a problem, explained it, then got advice...that'd be cool. But when a mom comes on and has to defend her choice to homeschool to a bunch of people, justify her reasons for any choice, in order to get some advice and friendly conversation, that's not cool.

If the people would sit there and listen, try to understand and respect the choice, then offer their two cents in a nonjudgemental, polite manner... I'd like it a lot more.

It just shows how ignorant and judgemental most of our society is. The things they say sometimes just anger me so much, even hurt my feelings. If it has that effect on ME imagine how those moms that are being singled out and judged like that feel.

Have they done a show where they put a FF mom in a room with a bunch of breastfeeders to be bitched out? Probably not, because that would be blatantly doing a show just so someone could be judged. When you take a mom who does extended nursing, put her in a room with FFers and moms who didn't BF as long, you're not going to get pleasant conversation. Maybe if it was a team of people vs another team, or if at least 2-3 moms in the room shared similar choices, fine...but putting one woman in the room with a bunch of people who are quite the opposite, that's kind of mean to me.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
That expert was quite wrong, because the benefits of breastfeeding last forever as we all know! The nutritional value, digestive properties, hypoallergenic qualities, antibodies, they're still there even if the child is 5. Mothers and their children NEED to have a bond, and if breastfeeding makes that bond stronger, GOOD. If it's interfering with their lives, the child's development, keeping the child from going to school...understandable. If not, why does she NEED to wean? I was told to wean my son, and he's only 1. Many experts don't know what they are talking about it seems.

Things would have gone differently on that show if WE had been there! Am I right? We'd have told that breastfeeding mama good for her! And helped defend her choice to that so-called expert, show her some real facts. Go kellymom.com! If they'd been listing good reasons to wean, while she listed her reasons for not doing it, giving her advice for when she does wean, etc that would have been just fine. It's just the way they go about things that makes me so upset (as wel as the general lack of knowledge). No, if I ever need advice, I'll go to a real expert, someone I trust, not a random group of moms who are going to give me their biased, uneducated opinions.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
OK, I am outraged! The "expert" recommened weaning?? My smilies don't work, but if they did.....youd see alot of angry ones

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
argh, tivo missed it. But it sounds like it would have just made me angry anyway.

That show makes me want to go to a LLL meeting.

Siobhan

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momtoNatalee
OK, I am outraged! The "expert" recommened weaning?? My smilies don't work, but if they did.....youd see alot of angry ones
yup, she DID go over the fact that there is still nutritional benifits and the averages in other countrys for weaning were higher.........but said later in the program that she thought the mom was doing it more for her own bonding reasons. told her to wean by cutting out one or two feedings in the day, or all night nursing, and 2 weeks later at the update, she was weaned.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
TWO WEEKS LATER? Wow, that was really fast. That's sad. Even if she's doing it for the bonding, the benefits were still there; it's still a good choice to do. A good decision with good benefits is good regardess of the main reasoning.

·
Registered
643 Posts
and it's bad to want to bond with your child??? I could see if she was forcing something on the child that the child didn't want, but if they're both still wanting the nursing it doesn't make sense to stop.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts