Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My 2-month-old is suddenly very fussy and irritable, not going to sleep easily, and especially fussing when he pees or needs to pee. My husband thinks the baby's pee smells kind of weird, too. He feels a touch on the warm side, but I don't think it's a fever. He's nursing really fussily too, lots of popping off and on and crying.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I guess I'll call his doctor in the morning, but I just wanted to know if anyone had experienced this. We've been ECing the baby for about a month, and--until this recent thing--it was going really well. I thought that, when babies got a UTI, it was typically from the diaper environment. Well, my baby practically never spends any time with a dirty diaper--ever!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The only thing that I can think of that happened recently that was kind of weird (maybe could have caused it?) was that, at his 2-month check up on Tuesday, the dr. pulled his foreskin back and asked if we were cleaning under there. I said, "No, I was told to just leave it alone and it would separate on its own eventually." He gave me kind of a weird look and said, "We'll keep an eye on it." My baby was freaking out this whole time. Could that have caused these symptoms? First baby, I don't know anything.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Secondly, I've read that if the dr suspects a UTI, he'll want to do a catheter. I've never talked to my dr about EC...and I suspect he'll think I'm crazy, and not let me try to get my kid to pee in a cup.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I love EC, and it's making me really more aware of this kind of thing than I would be other wise...but it also sets up weird situations, you know?</p>

·
Registered
900 Posts
<p>To me doesn't sounds like UTI, could be more that some kind of damage when the Ped retract the foreskin. Maybe, you can post too in the forum Case against Cir. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck and hoping that he feels better soon.</p>

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
<p>Fever and dark or funny-smelling urine are symptoms of a UTI. Check your baby's temperature, and if baby has a high fever, I would go see the ped ASAP-- fevers are not great-- infections can move very quickly in the tiny babies. DS2 had a UTI at 6 weeks-- we caught it early before any serious issues had occured (untreated UTIs can lead to kidney infections). Also, DO NOT let your ped retract your son's foreskin. Oh, and UTIs can come from diapers, but also if there are certain defects in the urinary tract. Best of luck, hope your little one feels better soon.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts