Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Over the past five or six weeks I've been experiencing increasing problems with pain on my right upper abdomen, just under my right ribs.  My MW told me that's where my gallbladder is, and that I should eat a bland diet to help keep it from being inflamed.  The trouble is, nothing seems to be helping, and 'bland' isn't enough guidance for me. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>My research on the topic is contradictory and not terribly encouraging, but it seems to be consistently advocating a low-fat/no-fat diet.  The trouble is, as a vegetarian I already have a fairly low-fat diet, and cutting back still more would mean that I might not be getting enough protein for the baby.  Most of the foods that seem to be on the "avoid" list are my mainstays for ensuring proper nutrition for pregnancy -- I'm not sure I'm going to be able to nourish the baby enough if I cut all those things out.  And besides, isn't cutting out fat altogether inadvisable during pregnancy?  So what do I do? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Has anyone BTDT and have any advice?  I.e., what foods to avoid, or what foods could help?  It doesn't look like there's much, short of surgery, that can help, but diet seems to be the best possibility.  Any herbs/teas that anyone has used to help?  TIA! </p>

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
<p>Are you opposed to gettting bloodwork and an ultrasound done to see if it is the gall bladder? This is what I would suggest, but I know that some people want to remain intervention free during pregnancy. I assume your blood pressure is good, right. Otherwise you would be looking into preeclampsia, too.</p>

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Last time it was checked, my BP was fine -- I've never had a problem with it.  I hadn't thought of pre-e, but it doesn't seem likely.  I've got a call in to the MW asking if she recommends ultrasound.  I would prefer to avoid them, but if it is the gallbladder it would probably be good to know that, right?  *Sigh*  I just wish I could find something to <em>eat</em> in the meantime...</p>

·
Registered
901 Posts
<p>This worked for me, mama and I had severe GB problems: <a href="http://www.karenhurd.com/concern_gall_bladder.html" target="_blank">http://www.karenhurd.com/concern_gall_bladder.html</a></p>

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<p>Wow, just eat beans?  That's it?  That seems almost too good to be true!  But I have lentil soup on the stove and a pot of garbanzos soaking this very minute, so I'll be able to try it out.  Thanks for the link!!!</p>

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
<p>I've never had problems with my gall bladder during pregnancy since I had mine removed 6 years before I had my first baby. But my best advice would be to find your triggers and if it doesn't let up get an u/s or other bloodwork done. Pregnancy hormones wreak havoc on gall bladders. Sorry you're having such a rough time! </p>

·
Registered
544 Posts
<p>gallbaldderattack.com!!!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>really everything you need to know about GB issues and how to handle them. Also, I strongly suggest you find a good Doctor of Oriental Medicine/Acupuncturist. I have BTDT and am a gluten free vegan and it is possible to eat healthy without upsetting your GB, but often times you really need the help of a DOM for herbs and acupuncture. HUGE DIFFERENCE for me! For future reference, I also did colonics until I was 25 weeks pregnant and this helped immensely, too. I was sad when my baby grew too big for me to continue to have them. good luck :)</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts