Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how does dr. karp suggest swaddling? cant find a description online.

i'm desperate to get this girl to nap during the day for longer than 9 minutes!

anyone?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm not sure who Dr Karp is...but the one who writes about the 5 s's I think swaddles this way.

1 fold down one corner of the blanket lay baby so blanket is just above shoulders.

2 pull the left side across and down so the shoulder is stable under the blanket, tuck under body.

3 pull bottom of blanket up and tuck to the right side of body.

4 pull the right side down and across the body. At about chest level fold the blanket so you are pulling it directly acroos baby (kinda make a tuck in it) tuck the tail of the blanket behind baby.

This has always worked for me though I don't like the thought of my legs being held or bound so I never did step 3 only 1,2,and 4. My babies both liked it, dd more than ds.

Good luck

Hope this helps.

JennP

·
Registered
45 Posts
also you need to use a square blanket with dr. karp's swaddling. we found that a stretchy square blanket worked the best.

check out this site for a video...

http://www.todaysparent.com/baby/hea...03_2224&page=1

the women in the video does not swaddle as tight as dr. karp because when he does it the last piece comes all the way around the baby's chest and back and is tucked in somewhere on the chest of the baby (hope that makes sense). dr. karp says this last piece holds the whole swaddle together.

hope this helps!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dr Harvey Karp saved my sanity. You should get his book from the library called "the happiest baby on the block". It's an easy read even though I found it a bit too wordy. He discusses the 5 s's (shusshing, swaddling, swinging, sucking and i can't for the life of me remember the other one). Anyway, the swaddling was a lifesaver. The video that was suggested by the other post is way too loose for karp.

I used it (swaddle) because ds cried soooo much, had reflux. Along with white noise (we use an old radio tuned to a non-station), the swaddle was a godsend. Ds would immediately take a breath from all that crying and somewhat relax.

Ds is 5 months and I use the white noise everytime he naps and at night. It drowns out any noise, i.e. phone, doorbell, footsteps.

Ds also did a lot of napping in my cuddlywrap. I didn't get much done but you could go for a lot of walks. he loved it. He'd nap in it for up to 4 hours at a time.

I would also recommend taking out Karp's "happiest toddler on the block" from the library, too. Also a fast read.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thx everyone...was able to get to the library today and got this book...
read thru most of the stuff i need..and so far it's working great.
:

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
That book was a lifesaver for us! Both of my children love(d) being swaddled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts