Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions regarding swaddling. Im a huge swaddling advocate. I even think 3 year olds need to be swaddled sometimes. But I always get a lot of push back on this from parents.

I work at a childcare center (also due with my own in Dec) and I've been working with infants for years. Sleep in a daycare setting is difficult. It always will be. I've worked in more mainstream childcare centers and as of now I'm working In a more family style Waldorf childcare center (very similar to LifeWays if you are familiar). Anyways, we have such high success rates with naps for all the children because we use swaddling a lot. But a lot of parents don't like that we swaddle and do not do it at home (and also struggle with sleep in general but never take our advice to swaddle).

My question to you guys is why is swaddling so controversial? Is there something I am missing? I'm not a fan of cry it out, but I think swaddling works wonders and to me, doesn't have any psychological effects.

We had a baby (5 mos) start today who is very fussy. His mom said she doesn't swaddle him anymore. We swaddled him up and he calmed down right away and took a fantastic nap, so that's why I bring it up.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with swaddling. I think some babies benefit from it and some hate it. Go with what your baby is telling you. Maybe the parents feel like they tried swaddling and it didn't work or they're not confident in their swaddling abilities. Either way, it's there choice.

Some of the cons of swaddling come from a safety standpoint. Allegedly, the risk of SIDS is increased because the children can't jerk themselves awake if there's something wrong. Also, they might move the blanket up over the mouth and nose causing a suffocation hazard. There has also been discussions on if swaddling is bad for the hips.

Reactions: applejuice
1 - 2 of 2 Posts