Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OH MY I was such a poopy swaddler with Kai. THIS TIME I purchased the cozy cocoon. It is soo cute i ordered 2 natural organic from my consulant stuff i sell through nfb however i wasnt able to get the leopard unless i ordered 3 so the leopard i ordered from another site. IT LOOKS SOOO TINY but says up to 13LBS and it is toooo cute.. Guess you can tell what baby is going to be for Halloween. Oh and i got the matching gnome hat

Michele

·
Registered
640 Posts
This will sound so ridiculous but I thought I'd ask since you brought up swaddling....will someone show me how to swaddle our baby? Whenever I see a baby swaddled, they look so cute and comfy but I have no idea how to do it?? Its probably really easy, its just one of those things stuck in the back of my head that I'm not sure how to do....lol.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Oh! And the swaddles that you mentioned sound sooooo cute! I promised myself I wasn't going to go buy things, but I love little gnome hats on kids!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Andrea,

Yeah Nurses and MWs etc are great at swaddling however you could just get something like the cozy coccoon and avoid the frustration
MINE (swaddling)NEVER STAYED TIGHT and the time DH and I thought we got it we over heated him

Silly first time parents
I just got my one from earthybabes and it seems soo small but it fits like a sock.. It is SOOO CUTE : O )

I am going to have a total of 3.. in case poopy etc gets on it.. However wondering how it will be for night time changes since it pulls up like a sock though they do have another one that is open at the bottom ....choices

michele

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaibaby
This will sound so ridiculous but I thought I'd ask since you brought up swaddling....will someone show me how to swaddle our baby? Whenever I see a baby swaddled, they look so cute and comfy but I have no idea how to do it?? Its probably really easy, its just one of those things stuck in the back of my head that I'm not sure how to do....lol.
There is a really great swaddling video clip at www.wearyourbaby.com !
It uses a swaddling ribbon to keep the wrapping on. It looks sooooo cozy. Since I had a summer baby last time I never swaddled, but with 2 fall babies, I am all over it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
chaibaby,

have the mw or the nurses in the nursery (they don't have to take the baby, but they can come show you) show you how. I have a good technique I learned from my bro in law. I could explain it for you/take pics of it if you want me to. It'd have to be photos of a doll for now, but if you want...

I don't think you need special swaddling blankets, but I have never tried them, and maybe they are great, I just don't know!

·
Registered
407 Posts
my DH and I learned by watching the video/DVD version of "The Happiest Baby on the Block". He shows you over and over again!

We definitely had better luck with some blankets than others. Our favorite was a knit blanket that had some stretch to it. It was fairly lightweight, but cozy enough.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I am so all over swaddling this time.

I think it's really hard to do well with a regular receiving blanket. And I just never had anything else that would work.

My good friend has a ds the same age as my ds2. When he was very small she watched the Happiest Baby on the Block video and was convinced to try his methods. She bought a Miracle Blanket (she swares by it) and had such success that I am DETERMINED to give it a really committed go this time. I have a lot of motivation in the form of history of cranky babies.

I got the Karp book at the library and liked it. I'm going to buy a used copy to keep on hand to be able to see the diagrams and remind myself of the suggestions.

If you haven't seen the Happiest Baby video, you should. It is CREEPY how Harvey Karp is able to help those babies settle down.

Oh, and my mom is buying me two Miracle Blankets. Yay! I think you can for sure do it without a fancy blanket, but I am trying to give myself every chance for success at having the skills to calm my baby no matter how needy he/she is!

My dh is also going to make us a baby hammock (thanks whoever it was who posted about that a few months ago and got me thinking and researching!)

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I just heard about a book called baby-gami. It shows swaddling techniques from around the world. I am going to borrow it from a friend. I'll let you know if it is helpful.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HI Tracey, I think i was the one that mentioned the happy hangup. I just received mine in the mail it is beautiful .. DH and I had heard about the miracle blanket and while i have heard they work great i just could not get passed the 'velcro ing of the arms down and then wrapping them up.. I like that the cozy cocoona and those alike mimic the womb more to wear they can still have their arms more in a natural fetal position.

Oh mamajody that sounds like a really cool book. Im all about learning from different cultures. I swear the only thing the USA 'culture' has to teach is 'TEACH BABY TO NOT NEED MAMA'

A family member of mine is one of those "babies need to learn" cant hold them alllllll the time" they need to learn they can have everything" etc etc ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michele

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Michele, well then thank *you* for posting about the Happy Hangup!
It is so beautiful, isn't it? I bet even more so in person!

I don't think I would have ever gone for the Miracle Blanket if I hadn't seen up close how much my friend's ds loved it. Karp claims that they can get thier arms free later on if they are not securely in place. Can you pretty please post a link to show how the cozy cocoona looks/works? I don't know if my mom has bought the MBs yet or not...

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
The cozy cocoon is a little baby body stocking! Awwwwwwww. How cute!
:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HI Tracy,
Mamajody is right. There are two or three different types. The one i purchased is closed at the bottom so you scrunch it up in your hands like you would a tube sock and start at the feet and work up. Then they can still stretch etc however they are not BOPPING their hands in their face
Kai used to do that all the time and then woke up UGH! There is another that is the same exact idea however it is open at the bottom a bit for when they have long legs and a couple months old. the design is actually pretty simple and honestly if you had the correct fabric you could probably make something rather similar.

THE GNOME HAT is the best. I squeezed it on Kai's head today...

Michele

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.