Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!
For whatever reason, my 18mo. old dd, is lately into taking something into her mouth (usually something bready) chewing chewing chewing, and then spitting it all out. Worst is that she not only spits it out, she makes this bleahchh sound and makes me scrape her tongue until every last morsel is gone. This can go on forever. Nobody else can do it either, only me or a tantrum. So, I've tried encouraging her to have some water to help wash the food down, but it rarely works. It's disgusting and irritating, what should I do? It's obviously not that she doesn't like it, she has a different routine for that, she just doesn't want to swallow certain things.

punchy

·
Registered
337 Posts
Wow, DS has been doing the same thing for the last two weeks and it's making me Crazy!
: In DS's case, he's pretty much doing it with all foods--he seems to have decided to go on a breastmilk-only diet recently. I'm sure he does this, in part, because my reaction is so... interesting to him. (Ordinarily, I'm pretty good about not giving undue attention for "misbehavior", but I think he can see that this one really drives me nuts.) Also, I think he loves it when the chewed-up food goes "SPLAT" on the floor.

I'm hoping you get some good advice or insight here--I was about to start this very same thread today!
:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DD is on a BFing stint, too, and I agree that it's my reaction thats probably worth the price of the ticket, and the splat sound, too...please somebody help us!

·
Registered
337 Posts

punchy, we might just have to make our own support group! (What a messy playdate that could be!
)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Room for one more??
DS2 (19 months) is doing this lately. He will sometimes eat and swallow if I feed him and it's really mushy, so I think in our case it's partly teething (he's chewing terribly while he nurses - OUCH - which he only does when he is teething), but mostly the fun of watching the food fall and splat ... and the reaction he gets from others (especially me!) Throwing is another great game he has taken up so we're definitely in the food is for playing not for eating stage! He is bf'ing constantly, too, so perhaps it's the age?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have a small tribe! Okay, so Cass is doing a lot of teething type expressions lately too, but she has all teeth including four molars. Do the other four come this early?
The only thing I've found to help at all is giving her really tiny pieces. Even then it doesn't always work.

I guess if the Bmilk stays down...

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
So my 15 mo ds is the same way lately. Chew, chew, chew, spit. And any food is game for this sequence.

I have been generally just saying, "Oh, guess you're not hungry after all" and then just helping him clear his place (and sometimes giving him something else to chew on), but when we're in a restaurant or something and really want him to eat with us (so that he actually doesn't shriek to get out of his chair and leave), it is so tempting just to keep giving him more bites and trying to get him to eat it. But of course, since he not only spits it out, but actually also enjoys throwing the chewed up food on the floor, I've quickly learned I just have to accept that he's done eating...and to always be ready to request he puts the food into my hand or on his plate instead, and then take it from him before he throws it if he doesn't hand it to me or put it down on his plate.

Oh, and tiny pieces also helps sometimes with ds, but not all the time. Sometimes he's just in a chew and spit mood I guess? I can't wait for this stage of eating to evolve into a different one. Ugh. It's tiring.

I wouldn't scrape his tongue, though, for what it is worth. If ds wants that to be done, he'll have to do it himself. And I think its good to set limits that are comfortable for us as parents and to not do things simply to avoid tantrums because that sends a problematic message.

How many "baby teeth" are there, by the way? I can't recall, but I believe ds has all of his as well.

·
Registered
337 Posts
So, what foods are your DCren actually ingesting? With DS, we're down to nothing but fruits and cheese (before this phase, he was eating everything DH and I eat).

Last night, I tried an experiment. I completely ignored the spitting and did not even clean up the mess left on the floor. To my absolute disgust, DS eventually started eating the globs off the floor!

I don't know if I consider that a positive or negative outcome to my experiment.
All I could think was, "There has got to be a better way!"

·
Registered
337 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sierra
I wouldn't scrape his tongue, though, for what it is worth. If ds wants that to be done, he'll have to do it himself. And I think its good to set limits that are comfortable for us as parents and to not do things simply to avoid tantrums because that sends a problematic message.
Oh, yeah. I agree with this. I wouldn't ever help DS with these little projects of his. At this point, he seems to like the process of sticking his tongue in and out eighty times to get out every. last. speck. of. food.

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ihathi
So, what foods are your DCren actually ingesting? With DS, we're down to nothing but fruits and cheese (before this phase, he was eating everything DH and I eat).
Same here. Before this started, ds ate (as in, ingested) a wide variety of foods...everything we were eating. Now he is actually swallowing only eggs and fruit, and even then, only about 25% of the time. Ugh.

Quote:
Last night, I tried an experiment. I completely ignored the spitting and did not even clean up the mess left on the floor. To my absolute disgust, DS eventually started eating the globs off the floor!
Yep. ds does this too (not really eating, but putting back in his mouth), if I don't clean it up within a few minutes. dw objects to this altogether, but my public health background actually-- and ironically-- makes me pretty relaxed about that type of stuff. Exposure to a certain amount of germs can make the immune system stronger, afterall, and we don't wear shoes in the house so I'm not too worried about lawn chemicals and stuff that have been tracked in. Still, I do like to clean it up pretty promptly to minimize the amount that he puts back in his mouth once it has touched the ground. Lately I've been helping him to clean up after himself. It's too early to tell how that is going.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cass will eat lentils, noodles, beans, cheese, corn, barley, ect. It's the bread/floury foods she can't get down. She not a floor spitter either, she just acts like there's a hair on her tongue or like she's just eaten a dirty sock or something. The funny thing about Cass is that she eats everything that is NOT food. Books are her long time favourite. I thought that was supposed to have stopped by now.She will eat food off the floor if she finds some, but not before smooshing, dragging, stomping on it. I don't really have issues with that for the same reasons as Sierra. In your home are mostly your own pathogens. Another reason home birth is better, but I digress...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I'm here too.

My 17 month old dd started doing this about a week ago. It drives me insane!
: She has reflux too so I thought maybe it had something to do with that... but maybe not. She isn't BF anymore, we had to stop at 13 months so that I could take meds for my RA... so I am at a total loss as to what to do about food. I hate having to give her pediasure but she hasn't really eaten in a few days...
She's been drinking a lot, just not eating.

I hope this is just a phase... we were finally getting out of a little reflux slump where she was gaining some weight and eating well!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Are any of you mamas still around?

DS made a bizarre, miraculous "recovery" yesterday from the spitting madness... He ate a huge plate of pasta (by himself! with a spoon!), then, today, he ate a big french toast breakfast w/ fruit.

I've officially gone 24 hours w/o scraping little piles of food off the floor!

What possible evolutionary function could a phase like that serve?!? Anyone else have the spitting just stop?

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
ds still spits, but it has lessened since I posted. He's also eating a bit more. He is just a couple weeks older than your ds, ihathi. Who knows. I'm curious if it will come back again full force at times, since several posters on this thread have 17+ month olds. Time will tell...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Glad to hear things are getting better, Sierra! In a case like this, I think it's really reassuring to see how such behaviors come and go on their own. Now that the storm has passed, I know I won't be nearly as concerned if this comes up again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sierra
I'm curious if it will come back again full force at times, since several posters on this thread have 17+ month olds.
I had noticed this too. I told DH that DS must be advanced to be spitting out his food so soon.

At the time, DH did not find this funny at all...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts