Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heck, I'll gladly donate my parsley to help butterflies, but there were 14 of them at one point & I had a small crop this year. I was afraid they would starve, so today I took them to a local nature reserve that has a butterfly garden & they are going to care for them. I just have no other plants around that the Black Swallowtail caterpillar eats (per the info I found on the internet.) So next year I'm planting tons of dill & fennel just for them. Just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I think its great that you gave them a new home and also are thinking of them for next year!

I am an avid raiser of butterflies and moths, and black swallowtails are some of my favorites. Lepidoptera are very sensitive to pollution and the first to die off when the air quality gets bad. I've noticed a decrease in the amount of butterflies fluttering around over the past two decades. Anything that helps them thrive I think is great! I've been planting parsley and dill for the last three years and have yet to see a single swallowtail caterpillar
I have 24 really FAT polyphemus caterpillars in my kitchen, though!

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
Yeah, my poor fennel is bald from the monarchs (my second crop this year- of the larvae, not the fennel!) I'm just worried they'll starve. BC, you have ideas where I can put them? I've seen them n my rue before, that's my best hunch.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I found 2 caterpillars on our parsely,and we were able to tend to them till they hatched out as beautiful butterflies(that we let go that same day since they only live a short time).It was a wonderful experience for the kids to see the transformation.My only regret is that we missed(both times) seeing the butterflies emerge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.