Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of my new wool soakers are already starting to get a little pilly. I've seen people here mention using a sweater shaver on their wool. Does it matter if I shave the wool before or after washing/lanolizing? Can anyone recommend a good brand or place to purchase one? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
If you are about to wash them, I would wait until after they are washed/lanolized/dry again to shave. And then I do it as often as needed thereafter.
I got my shaver at JoAnn's for $7.99. I wish they made a commercial, extra-large capacity, lots-of-horsepower model for me, though, because I shaved all my PFs too and oh man, are they soft!
It's time-consuming but SO worth it. I think I killed the motor on my first shaver, though...they did give me 1/2 credit toward a new one since it died so fast.
:

Get one! They are so cool. I don't know how I suffered this long without one!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MissSugarKane
I really want to get one too but never think about it when I am out.What section in Target are they? I always go braindead once I enter a store and can't figure out where to look for anything
:
i found them at my target near the ironing boards.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Here's the one I got:
http://www.birdcrossstitch.com/organ...ver/index.html
and I totally agree with everyone about the obsession with using fabric shavers! I can't stand to let my wool look ratty even for a day or two, now that I know how good it can look. Another thing I do to get a closer shave is to put my hand inside the pants/soaker and give the shaver something to press against as I shave.
I thought the motor went dead on mine after just two days of use, but it turned out it was just jammed up in the top part with so much fuz wrapped around the spinner. I pulled it apart and pulled off the fuz pieces from inside and put it back together and it worked great again. Now I end up doing that every week or so, or whenever it doesn't seem to be working/sounding as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.