Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a doula and recently attended a kind of hard birth...it wasn't too scary, but it did get intense for a while. Mom pushed for about 3 hours and it turned out that the baby had her hand up by her face and that explained a lot of it.

Now, when they brought the baby back from getting her really good and breathing mom was too tired to hold her little girl. She asked me to hold her...so I picked her up and brought her to mom...and held her as close to mom as I could get her. Here are the really cool things about this...first, when I picked up baby she was looking at me for a few seconds...but when she heard her mother's voice across the room her eyes fixed in that direction and there was no one else. SOOO, today I did my post partum visit...and mom hands baby to me for a picture...and baby clearly recognized me!!! She totally made eye contact and mimicked my expressions...but she was calm and totally studying me - mom was shocked, says this baby always cries and fights to get away from people, even family - only mom will do! So, I'm thinking...this little person recognizes me!!! WOW, can you imagine that? I think it is really cool. Oh, one last thing... I saw this baby fight with the nurse, she was pushing the nurse away and looking at her mom...while she refused to breathe (I am serious, she was holding her breath). So, all I can say is...I LOVE being a doula and seeing such wonders!!! IT is far more than I thought it would be.

-Rebecca

· Registered
1,548 Posts
that really is cool. thanks for sharing, I just love to hear stories where a doula really feel a moment in particular to be rewarding. It can get rough sometimes

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.