Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planted a sweet potato in a container because I was warned that they can take over your yard. I'm starting to see how. The plant is a vine type plant and is grabbing anything within reach. I guess it plants shoots where ever it hits the ground and forms a potato. Any idea of how I can do this? What should I plant it in? My DH suggested a sand box filled of course with soil.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I think it depends on your climate if Sweet Potato acts like an annual or a perrenial. If it will be frozen back in the winter, I wouldn't worry too much about the vine taking over the world. If you think it will be year-round and want to keep it contained, how about a series of pots - I am imagining a base pot, then as the vines creep out direct them to the next pot, and so on. I think you would need to bury a portion of the vine to encourage it to start a new root system. I am imagining a dozen pots with vines draping between, perhaps supported occassionally to keep them off the ground.

·
Registered
873 Posts
There are some old threads here about planting potatoes in trash cans. You add about 8 inches of soil to the bottom, plant your peices of potato and once the vines reach about 8" you add more soil, leaving the tips of the vines above the new soil level. Continue to do that until the trash can is full. When it's time to harvest, just dump everthing out and harvest the tubers that have formed all up the vine.

I started some Okinawan Sweet Potatoes in one this Spring, and it was just about at the top when I left on vacation 3 weeks ago. I'm heading home in a week, so I'll let you know how it looks!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Blastomom, how did the potaotes in the trash can turn out? I just stumbled upon this thread and that sounds like such a fun way to grow them!

·
Registered
873 Posts
The purple sweet potato vines went crazy while I was gone. I dragged the can to the side of my driveway, up against the azaleas that are in front of the house. When I left, there were about three 12-inch vines. A month later, they used the azaleas as a trellis and were covering about 10 ft! They have spread even more in the past couple of weeks, though I haven't poked around in the soil to see if I've got potatoes yet. The vines are quite pretty, so I don't mind that they are taking over, and the azaleas are still getting enough sun that I'm not worried about them.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Since I have the roots contained in the trashcan and the vines aren't touching the ground I don't think they'll turn into the Potato That Ate New York or anything. Especially since I don't live in NY

·
Registered
162 Posts
That trashcan idea is great! I am going to have to try it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts