Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tika
ISO a new pediatrician and looking for some suggestions.

Thanks!
Are you in the North Port area or the Naples area? Or somewhere else in SWFL? That might help people to give you better suggestions.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
we are still looking
have heard OK things about island coast pediatrics. we took ds2 to a family doctor in bonita for his 2 week exam, this dr is totally anti-vax, which is why we went there (didn't want a hassle). if you want his name, pm me
but i am not sure this is the right dr for us, either! I am going to look into the Longevity Center in Fort Myers, next.

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
I like Dr. Cassanova in Port Charlotte, but that is a bit of a drive for you. There was a thread a while back about this and a girl I doula'd for (who lives in your area) posted a good pedi that was ok with not vaxing. Her username was stillill Try doing a search and see if you can find it.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I think stillill goes to the family doc in Bonita

oh, and CONGRATS on your pg, tika!!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I go to Physician's Primary Care and see Dr. Blitzer and Susan Bengstton, Nurse Practitioner. I don't know what their vaccination stance is, but that's because I plan to vax. But, you could call and ask.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hey Tika... I use Dr. Troast at Island Coast Pediatrics. So far, so good. I did initial vax and have since stopped. He didn't give me any hassle about not getting vaxes.
He seems open to whatever you want as a parent. He says he recommends x and y but always leaves the door open for your decision with no hassle.

OK - keep in mind, I'm on my first child who is 4.5 months now... so while I'm happy with him, my overall experience is little!

HTH

·
Registered
699 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin
We use Dr. Holganza in Port Charlotte. She is fine with non-vaxing, and she is very supportive of extended breastfeeding.
I cannot tell you how happy this makes me! We have our 6 month WBV scheduled with her. DH actually knows her personally, but we weren't sure of her vax stance. We had Helgemo before (in PC) and got the vax run around during every appt. I don't recommend him at all.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I peersonally wouldn't rec phy. primary care - a friend was "let go" for not vaxxing. we went there for a while, too w/ ds1 and we i really didn't care for that place, at all

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We were seeing Dr. Blitzer at Primary Physicians Care with Gabby, but was let go from their practice-not due to vax issues though. I still don't know where I stand on vax issues. I go back and forth every time I visit the issue.

Dr. Blitzer dismissed some concerns I had which put me off. Gabby has been extremely healthy so I really didn't have much contact with her other than well baby visits.

PPC is the "big box store" of doctors around here and I hate that. I don't like the whole "drive thru" medicine feeling I get from them.

Since we were dropped (I was going to look around because I was unhappy anyway), I have to find someone else and would prefer someone who respects those of the "natural mind."

I just want a ped that will let me make my informed decisions regardless of their recommendations...just as every doctor should IMO.

Island Coast Ped keeps coming up so I may check them out.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Quote:
PPC is the "big box store" of doctors around here and I hate that. I don't like the whole "drive thru" medicine feeling I get from them.
too funny, this is EXACTLY why we stopped going there, as well - even before the vax issue came up! i had written in my post that i didn't like being part of the "herd," but deleted it b/c i didnt want to offend anyone.
: seriously, i couldn't stand that place. we stopped going after Gabe's 1 yr well baby, which lasted all of about 2 minutes
: (he is almost 3 now and has only been sick like 2 or 3 times)

Quote:
I just want a ped that will let me make my informed decisions regardless of their recommendations...just as every doctor should IMO.
i seriously do not think that one like that exists in fort myers - but in our case, i think i am looking for someone of the same mindset, and i am not sure you can find that in a "doctor," much less a pediatrician. period. (unless you are very very very lucky!) we have also been toying around with the idea of taking the boys to a chiropractor.

also murdock family physicians in Cape Coral - I have had some positive feedback about them - They practice holistic medicine, chiro, accupuncture, etc. just fyi i think their website is www.murdockfamilyphysicians.com.

sorry to ramble, i have been on the hunt for about a year now

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL isn't it awful??? Anyone here willing to go to med school? *gag* Surely not me...

I've considered chiropractic care for Gabby too. I've never been to a chiro so I kinda feel that I need to go first...which will probably be soon. My mom is an RN so I've always heard horror stories about them and have been forbidden to see one LOL.

It seems like the recommended chiro's are in Naples around here...was hoping to find someone closer and who isn't "out of network" on our insurance! hahaha We're already likely going to have to pay plenty for our midwife, so I really need a break here if I am going to do chiro care too.

I hear there is a guy in Ft. Myers that does the Atlas Orthogonal chiro, no bone crunching (though the bone crunching sounds like it would feel GOOD), and I hear that is excellent.

I was afraid I'd offend with that comment, but I said it anyway. I've been known to speak my mind even when I shouldn't. The one thing I did like about PPC was the sick/healthy waiting rooms. That's about the extent of it though.

Thanks for the Murdock lead too. Good luck in your search, it doesn't sound like such thing exists here. I completely understand your situation since I've had the same issues re: VBAC (and VBAC out of the hospital-why would I choose to go back there again?) in this area. It's so frustrating and just plain ridiculous. This is why I am in the beginning stages of starting an ICAN chapter with a friend.

I'm a rambler too...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.