Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do with your diaper-free babies??

I went swimming in a lake at a public beach and didn't bother diapering my babe. He was fussing in the water, so I took him to pee in a bush and pssss!!

A few days later I was invited to a friend's parents' pool. There I felt like I should diaper out of respect for the pool owners, and other ppl using the pool.

I say lakes- nakey bum, pools- diaper....But then I get to thinking- would you ask a potty trained toddler to put a dipe on in a pool??
I feel my ECed 8 mo old has *pretty much* the same elimination control of a potty trained toddler.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
For a pool, if there's a poopy accident, it's a real pain to clean up. In a public pool, they're required to close the area or the entire pool while the clean up and make sure the chemicals are at the appropriate balance.

I did have my pt'd preschooler wearing a swim diaper, b/c every single time he swam, he'd poop. Every. Single. Time. Without fail. And also remember, it's about the poop, not the pee. Even disposable swim dipes don't hold in the pee, it's all about the poop. At a public pool, you'll be required and they won't let you swim without one. In a private pool, I'd say out of respect for the pool owner and the fact that one accident would be a huge pain to clean up, yes, swimmie dipe then too. You can use a Bummis or similar cover, and skip the disposable dipes.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Those bummi covers REALLY hold in the water though so watch out. I tried that and DD was dragging a load around!

I agree that pool requires diaper, lake mostly doesn't. I let DD (not trained age 2.5) swim naked when there aren't many people around. I put a dipe on out of respect for others when there are more people. I bought a reusable swim diaper from One Step Ahead.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we used our HHs sans-insert...heard that met standards of a swim dipe- still retained a fair amount of water though!

·
Registered
574 Posts
We're using swimtrunks from Target with a "diaper insert" in them. Basically it's a plastic liner that would catch poo and probably even pee if there's a miss. So far no misses at the pool, though, for us. Ds is 7 months and I agree, he has about as much control as a newly pt'd toddler. With the swim trunks no one knows what's underneath. I guess it's easier with boys than girls in that regard.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would have to say a little pair of swim trunks with a mesh liner (the kind that comes on the inside of all mens trunks) IF you are pretty sure that you are not going to have a poop. I mean you are going to notice if they start to poop. The mesh will hold everything in for a few moments. I used to be a pool operator and I can tell you that all people have dirty butts. How clean is yours right now and you might go jump in a pool with it. LOL As long as you contain the floaters you are o,k,.

Anyone for swimming. (p.s. like everything ec, it is so much better not to mention anything)

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
i say swim trunks and dont ask dont tell.

but i know a lot of places that require swim diapers on kids under 3. my kid is 2.5 and i dont make him wear a dipe in the pool since i know he won't poop in it. no one ever asked for proof of age hehe.

kids are kinda unpredictable though. i probably wouldn't load him up with apple juice or anything before going in. i heard if a baby poops in the pool everyone has to get out and they have to treat it or something. sounds embarrassing.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
I play it by ear. Swim dipes are only to keep poo from getting in the water, so I would mostly just use them if he hadn't pooed recently and I wasn't absolutely sure he wouldn't.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I wouldn't put a swim diaper on, and I don't on my (grad !!!!) EC-d 21 mo, but if you are worried about a slight chance of poop, Kushies makes a really nice swim diaper/suit that is very similar to a regular suit just a little tighter in the legs, and cute too...that is what we used last summer when she was 8-9 months and consistently pooping in the potty, but I didn't want to deal with the pool people, and realistically, at the time there was a slight chance of her still pooping in the pool.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazyhead
Those bummi covers REALLY hold in the water though so watch out. I tried that and DD was dragging a load around!

I agree that pool requires diaper, lake mostly doesn't. I let DD (not trained age 2.5) swim naked when there aren't many people around. I put a dipe on out of respect for others when there are more people. I bought a reusable swim diaper from One Step Ahead.
I use a bummis original, one size smaller than he'd wear if i had a diaper in it. nice and snug! he also wears an insulated swimsuit too, to keep sun of his fair skin and stay warm, so no chance of sagging really.

·
Registered
205 Posts
we used the mother ease swimmer diaper for our first ds and loved it. they catch poops (not newborn ones though
) no problem. They fit small though if your looking.

·
Registered
325 Posts
We continued using cloth swim diapers long after I expected there would be no accidents as a "just in case". Some of them are just double layer pull-on waterproof pants. Last summer they never caught anything but a little pool water.

My 3 1/2 year old actually had a poop accident in her grandparents pool this summer. She's been pooping in the potty for years, but something threw off her timing. We may try to buy a swim diaper before using the public pools next. Or maybe not....

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I was at a naturalist hot springs a few months ago and while I was getting myself and DS undressed, another mom was getting her boys who looked about 4 & 6 age at the youngest in swim diapers.

That just felt like an odd situation.

DS goes nakey bum if everyone else is also naked. Where people wear swimsuits we put him in trunks with no dipes.

I did have someone mention to his wife (but loud enough for me to overhear) that babies' butts are filfthy and full of germs. I later mentioned to my DH (but loud enough for him to overhear) that I was so happy to be doing EC and how great it is that DS doesn't need dipes because he goes on the toilet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My EC'ed 13 mo has 2-piece swim suit where the bottom *is* a swim diaper. It's a community poop so I use one, but in our own backyard I wouldn't because we've ben 100% on poops for many months. My 4yo wasn't ECed an I did not use a swim diaper on him after he turned 2ish because I knew there was no way he was going to poop midswim. In retrospect, it was against the rules, but I didn't realize how crazed mainstream people are about swim dipes. I always just figured is there was no chance of pooping in the poop they are useless.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts