Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been taking my dd swimming since she was 3 months old. She is 2.5 years old now and LOVES the water. She'll jump off the diving board, she'll dive to the bottom of the pool for toys, and she loves to play water games. But when she is in a pool that is deeper than she is tall, she MUST be accompanied by an adult. As much as she likes to go under water, she's not strong enough yet to tread water to hold her head above the water and would drown if she were to fall in where it was deeper than her.

Because of this, I've been wanting to get her into swimming lessons. If nothing else, to teach her to roll on her back. We talked with one instructor that told us it was probably a BAD thing that she is so comfortable in the water. This is a little confusing to me. At what disadvantage is she over a child that is afraid of the water?

Made me want to teach her myself. I'm no swim instructor, but I'm a proficient swimmer (been on swim teams my whole life). I'm just not sure how to go about it - I've always been taught by others... never taught someone myself. Sorry for getting so long. I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest a book or something that might help me and my dd.

TIA

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think the swimming teacher told you it was a 'bad' thing simply for the reasons you also mentioned - she's not yet strong enough to tread water and would drown if in water over her head. Her love for water makes her feel comfortable in it and keeps her from understanding it could also be dangerous? And possibly he's saying her comfortablity with water currently puts her in danger more than a child who is afraid of water because the child afraid of water will do what it can to stay out of the water (i.e. safe) and your daughter will jump right in (and therefore she's in danger if water level is too deep). If you ask me he does have a point, but at the same time I think that is exactly why it's necessary for her to take swimmiing lessons -- so that if she is in water and is having trouble she knows what she can do to help herself and stay safe!
Congratulations on having such an adventurous daughter!

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
I just want to clarify something...you don't want to teacher your dd to be alone in deep water, right? You just want to teach her to be safe, right? I have to ask because it sort of sounds like you want her to be able to be alone in the deep end...just want to clarify that isn't your goal because I'm sure you know that that wouldn't be safe, right?

The main reason I would suggest finding a qualified teacher to teach your dd would be because almost the very first thing that is taught is floating and caution. It sounds like your dd has no fear when it comes to water and that is very concerning to an instructor because it means that they can't trust your dd to stay above water or in the shallow end during the lesson. Have you considered hiring someone to do a one on one lesson with yourdd instead of a class? I would think you could fine someone to do that for you. I was just as your dd as a child and I did have a close call at age three when I jumped a fence and then jumped into the pool...no fear!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I have a swimming DD, but she is not so adventerous. She can jump off the side and swim underwater a few feet, but she does not want to do anything without Mommy. Since she was so clingy, I have been teaching her to use a noodle to swim on her own, so that she does not have to be "on" me all the time, and now she is a bit more independant, but she is only 28 mo, so she is not ready to be on her own.

I would think you should do your best to teach your daughter as many survival skills as she can do in the water, but you also may want to talk to her about being more cautious as well.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BathrobeGoddess
I just want to clarify something...you don't want to teacher your dd to be alone in deep water, right? You just want to teach her to be safe, right?
No, I do not want to teach her to be alone in the deep end - Yes, I want to teach her to be safe. As an advid swimmer and lover of water, I know that even *I* shouldn't swim alone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arismomkoofie
I would think you should do your best to teach your daughter as many survival skills as she can do in the water, but you also may want to talk to her about being more cautious as well.
That's exactly what I'd like to do with swimming lessons. We do talk about water/pool safety a lot, but I wonder how much an excited 2.5 year old remembers when she arrives at the pool. :LOL

We'll enroll her in swimming lessons at some point, but I was wondering if there is something that *I* can do in the meantime to help her with her "survival skills."

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
We have practiced swimming to the side and getting out a lot. We have also practiced swimming to a "noodle" and holding on to it - she still isn't proficient yet, but it is coming. Just in case, although she is never alone near the water.

It is the only thing I can shing of until she can tread water.

GL!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am by no means a professional, but my auntie has been a swim instructor for 30 + years and she taught me, my siblings, my nephews, and now my daughter. Having no fear of the water is great! Congratulations. So many babies come in clingy and freaking out that they can't learn to enjoy the water. My dd started in lessons at ~ 8 mons. She is now almost 3 and can swim a lap in a pool, no problem, no matter the depth.
Grilling pool rules is endless, I can remember getting yelled at for jumping where I wasn't supposed to, running on the pool deck etc.. well into my early teens. Proper supervision is a no brainer.

For safety, I understand that you want your daughter to be able to roll over and get to the side in case - god forbid- she were to ever escape and fall in a pool. Most kids are only in the water 2-5 minutes before they are discoverd. So you need to teach her to either float, or get to the side.

I would suggest finding a new instructor. There are many teaching methods, but roll-overs are becoming a more popular thing to teach to infants, rather than waiting until they are older and can do "side-breathing". That being said, I did privalte 15 minute lessons this winter with dd, and she got the roll-over thing down in a couple weeks. Now I know she can do them when she needs to, although she's 2, and likes to goof off in the water and not pay attention at her group lessons.
Hope that helps, try getting her comfortable on her back, as long as she keeps her chin and tummy up she won't sink and then floating on her back will be one more game to play in the pool

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.