Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is it best to swim a lake or a pool. I was wondering about this and wondering what is safer health wise.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Pool, I believe - the purpose of the chlorine and other additives is to kill the nasty germs you would otherwise find in fresh water. With lakes and natural bodies of water being usually stagnant and polluted in (and full of parasites, bacteria, chemical runoff and dumping, and debris), I would think a pool is safer.

I grew up swimming in pools, and though I have asthma and allergies (seasonal), my mother and grandmother also have allergies (grandmother has asthma too) and they have never gone pool-water swimming much at all, if ever (grandmother, never).

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Considering that I used to get bladder infections every time I swam in a lake, I'd have to say a pool is overall safer. We've since been to a different lake without my having the same problem, but...

There's also that it's a more controlled environment and the water is clear, and thus easier to see if someone has sunk....

Any "extra" chlorine is easily rinsed off by showering afterwards.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
I would also have to vote for a pool...if you're worried about the cholorine, lakes and streams have chemicals in them too (runoffs from farmland, etc.) so they aren't any safer when it comes to avoiding them.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
I've never had any problems with the lakes we've been to. I prefer them over pools. I can't swim in indoor pools either, the chlorine buildup in the air makes it so I can't breathe and I don't have asthma or allergies.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'd say pools, but lakes and ponds don't tend to be bad. Particular ponds may be unhealthy to swim in, but usually they're fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts