Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried on both of my swimsuits, and they are definitely not going to work this summer!

Did you / are you going to buy a pg swimsuit? Where did you find it? Was it expensive? Are you going to bare your belly?

I bought one at Motherhood Maternity for $25. Two piece, but covers the belly. Halter top
, kind of low cut in the chest, big grandma panty-style bottoms that come up to the middle of my belly (luckily these are covered by the top part
). Navy & white floral print (but not too floral) on top, navy bottoms.

I found one online that was WAY too expensive for me ($60!) but it was REALLY cute! It's called the Peek-a-Boo, and it's a 2-piece with spaghetti straps, a long top that comes down past the bottoms, but in the front it splits right under the chest and opens in an upside-down vee. Peek-a-belly!!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Swimsuit season is here
and I'm not going to sit by the sidelines! I found a super suit new off ebay. It's by Duo Maternity and is a tye-dye pattern and really colorful and fun - it just says summer!
I think I ended up paying $14 total (including shipping). It's just a regular cut except for the extra material in the center of the suit. There are so many ugly maternity suits out there it gets discouraging.
:
The way I see it, everybody already knows your pregnant so why not show that belly (but I like mine covered with material while it shows) - I'm just not one of those pregnant in a bikini girls!

Yippee! Lets hit the water!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I got one from Motherhood when I was preggo with dd, but it has very little breast support. I need to find a better one to support the girls. They gotta weigh 10 lbs each! :LOL It's on my To-Do but Hate-to-Do list, along with scrubbing my toilets and cleaning out my fridge.

·
Registered
670 Posts
woo hoo, break out the bikini! I won't be far enough along that I'll be getting new stretch marks, but my belly is getting full enough to stretch out the old ones and make evrything look nice and smooth.
This could be my last chance to wear a bikini and not scare the bejeezus out of anyone. :LOL

·
Registered
726 Posts
sort of on this topic, i've been looking for a good plain suit just for swimming at the gym--does anyone have experience with the mothers in motion stuff? i'm considering this one: http://www.mothersinmotion.com/Catal...?Style=MS02102

or if not, does anyone have a recommendation for a comfortable suit for lap swimming? my current normal-person suit is really starting to be obscene!

thanks mamas--

*j

·
Registered
771 Posts
I got this one from Old Navy the other day. It has really comfy boy shorts that sit below the belly. I really like it, only thing is, I have to wear a strapless bra with it cause their is absolutely no boob support. I wish I could wear a bikini to show off my belly, but my back and hips expand so much that I just feel like a sumo wrestler. Anyways, can't wait till the pools open so I can show off my swimsuit

·
Registered
391 Posts
I actually had to buy one a few months ago for ds's toddler swimming and ended up with this. It's not terribly fashionable, but it works. None of the maternity shops in our area seem to carry bathing suits {at least when I needed one} and it's hard to pick one without trying it on.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I planing to go looking for one on Friday... i'm 29 weeks along and have streach marks from the last two never needed on before as ds was born march... dd was early june. but i'm not sitting along sidelines this year!!! I went swiming today with the kids and borrowed my sisters bikini and wore a big t shirt over it I was comfy but dh told me i can have the money to get on this weekend!!! LOL maybe the belly scared him!!!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
clynnr~ we have the same suit
I've been wearing it since I was 6 mos pg and it still fits me well now, the only problem is the long front tends to float up and bug me in the water. If I had more $ for bathing suits (and more time of being pg ahead of me) I'd definitely look for a good belly baring suit.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I was given a few suits... I'll have to model them for you and post the pics, haha! I think two are skirted (one is WAY too big for me still), one is one piece roomier in the belly, and one is a two piece that fits more snugly (though the top covers the belly and the bottoms come up about halfway, so you don't see belly skin.) I have been wearing this last one, and keep getting compliments on it.

I had wanted to find a bikini to wear and show off my belly, but 1) nothing was in the right size or price when I looked and 2) even my own dear sister acted afraid of my bulk and said her family did not want to see me in all my glory... haha! She is still probably reeling from her memory of the pictures she took of me in a tiny string bikini throughout my last pregnancy... It really did look awful those last couple of months... Like a giant white whale wearing rubber bands, haha!

And to her credit, my stretch marks are a bit scary too. I wouldn't want to discourage some young gal against having babies! =O)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Not pg right now, but when I was... I just wore my same old 2 piece, but with a larger top. My oldest was born in July so I was definetly big, but I didn't care. I liked having my belly showing, and I don't remember getting any weird looks.
Have fun at the pool this summer mamas! It is the most wonderful weightless feeling when you are big and pg!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I haven't got one yet, but i really like the two peices at Old Navy. The florals are a little busy, but I think the ties at the sides of the top make them pretty cute. Gap has some cute ones too, but they are too pricy for me.

I have had the same 2 peice for 8 yrs! and it mysteriously disappeared over the winter. YAY!!!!! Now I have to buy a new one.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I got a grandma looking one-piece maternity one when I was pregnant with Morgan- so I have that and a friend gave me a maternity bikini. We spend about everyday at the pool so I'm pondering grabbing a tankini from old navy. Not sure yet though.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've got the basic black skirted suit. I think it is pretty cute on, but I am getting so big, it is obnoxiously revealing! The front of the leg holes now goes half way up my belly, but not flat against me, unfortunately.
:
My husband did convince me to go to the pool over the weekend though and it was worth it. I just held on to the skirt so as not to "educate" any of the wee ones at the pool!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm just going with my usual swimsuits. I live in Taiwan and unfortunately there is nothing stylish about pregnancy here! I've just had my mother send bigger bikini tops from Oz. If it freaks everyone else out tough! I love my pregnant belly and am in no way going to hide it just because they're not used to seeing bellies - besides some of the men here have bigger bellies than a full term Mummy - now that's offensive!

·
Registered
347 Posts
i couldn't find any preggo suits for lap swimming, which is what I do, not so much for the beach. could not find any in stock on the web. so i just went to the local sports authority and bought a regular nike tank suit, just in a couple sizes larger that what i wear. works out great. but i am small chested, so if you need the support, you probably have to go with a preggo suit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have 2 maternity suits that I use for lap swimming at the Y. I have a plain red tankini from the Gap that I bought NWT on ebay and a red bandana print tankini from momshop.com. They do have more drag than my prepreg tank suit, but I've kind of gotten used to it. I tried on suits at motherhood, but the XL was too small in the bust. They didn't seem very supportive either, so I wasn't willing to get a 1x from their website. It really ticks me off that they don't carry any plus sizes in their stores in my city. Apparently, if you wear a size 16, you aren't supposed to get pregnant.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts