Mothering Forum banner

How long does your lo spend in a swing, bouncy, etc most days?

• No time at all

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • 0-30 minutes

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • 31-60 minutes

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • 1-2 hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2-3 hours

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • 3-4 hours

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • 4-5 hours

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 5+ hours

Votes: 1 2.2%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious to see what everyone says to this. How long does your LO spend in something like a bouncy, swing, etc during the day? I'm not talking about car seats while you're driving or b/c they fell asleep in them. CAn you tell I'm feeling guilt about having DD in teh swing for a bit every day, even though she loves it?

· Registered
908 Posts
Sara is in the swing whenever I have to go to the bathroom or do something hot on the stove. The rest of the time she's out and about in the Moby wrap or in someone's arms. Last month she loved the swing and we'd use it occasionally to put her to sleep and give us a rest. But now the swing is not as useful as it once was and she will only stay in it for a few minutes before fussing, so unless we need to put her down for a safety or sanitary reason, she's held or propped up on the bed...

Don't feel guilty if she loves the swing. Besides, the rocking motion is helping her develop her kinesthetic (sp?) and spatial awareness as well as developing other key things that I'm forgetting right now. Swinging and rocking is good for a baby, no matter where it comes from.

· Registered
7,392 Posts
DD2 sits in the bouncy seat when I shower or when I'm cooking. Sometimes when we're eating she'll sit either in the bouncy or in the (fully reclined) high chair. She naps in the swing and at night, since she goes to sleep before I do, she'll sleep in the swing in my room until I go to bed and bring her into bed with me. I've got 2 other kids to juggle and my hubby is deployed, I've got enough other things to feel guilty about that this isn't even on the mommy guilt radar.

· Registered
907 Posts
LO likes to sleep in the swing and generally takes at least one nap in it. Don't feel bad, everyone needs a break and if they like it then all the better. He also LOVES to jump - I think he has springs for legs
so he is in the jumparoo or the doorway jumper several times a day plus there is the exersaucer but he doesn't stay there very long - generally long enough for me to pee. he loves tummy time and is getting good at rolling and scooting across the room to get to the big kids or the dogs! But we are about done with the Bumbo since he can almost get out of it!

· Registered
685 Posts
I don't know. I've never timed it. But she spends a little bit of time in the Excersaucer in the morning between when Papa leaves for work and I'm done with washing up. She spends a little non-eating time in the high chair when I'm doing things in the kitchen that would be dangerous to have her on me, or on the floor. She spends a little time in the Bumbo seat during the day, but one of her current favorite activities involves pulling things out of a basket of toys in front of the Bumbo...she spent an hour doing this a few weeks ago; I expected somewhere between ten and twenty minutes depending on how many things she felt like pulling out-I'd put her in there, knowing I needed about an hour to do something, and figured that when she had had enough of that, I'd give her something else to do. And she fussed when I took her away after twenty minutes so I put her back.

She has a crib and spends a few minutes in the crib during the day here and there, too-it's where I put her when I need to rinse a diaper, or use the bathroom without the company of a seven and a half month old.

I tend to follow her cues with what she wants in this regard just like with other things. When people ask what baby essentials are, I will tell them "a safe place to put the baby when you need two hands and wearing the baby isn't safe or possible" and that's what I treat those things as...a safe place to put her when I need two hands.

· Registered
8,956 Posts
Hmm...Nora is 2 months old and naps in her swing at least 2 times a day for 2 hours at a time. Sometimes at night, if we cannot get her to pass out on us (b/c she is touched out) she will fall asleep in the swing and might sleep there for 4 hours or so "through the night".

· Registered
718 Posts
Maren uses the bouncy while I shower and sometimes when she comes to work with me. She's not in it for more than 20-30 minutes a time/day though. I limit her excersaucer and swing to also no more than 30-45 minutes a day. She doesn't sleep in the swing, if she did, I'd let her stay. She's happiest hanging out on the floor playing or being held.

· Registered
1,272 Posts
DD didn't spend any time in those types of things. She was held or worn, most of the time. She would nap on the couch, on occasion. Or, I would lay her on her fluffy comforter on the floor.

· Registered
564 Posts
DD is almost 8 months and spends maybe 15-20 minutes in an excersaucer a day. (shower/getting dressed)
When she was around 3-6 months she spent a bit more time in them. Maybe an hour through out the day, mostly in a swing when I would have to do something and she wasn't happy laying on the floor and I just couldn't hold her or didn't want to. She never was really crazy about it so it never lasted for more then 10 minutes at a time. except for the one and only time she fell asleep in the swing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.