Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is it to switch a baby's doctors? Do I need to sign forms to release records? Do I have to be personally present to sign those forms, or is it usually done via fax?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Make an appointment with the new doctor. When you fill out the intake paperwork make sure you fill out a "release of records" form. The office staff will send that signed form to your previous doctor who will forward your child's medical records.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I don't have to personally go to the old doctor's office and sign a release of records form? It would be kind of awkward since we are leaving.

·
Registered
455 Posts
No, you don't need to have any further direct contact with the old doctors office if you don't want to. But I don't see why it would be awkward, patients move from doctor to doctor all the time. I doubt anyone takes it personally.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope so :) The thing is, right now I am still pregnant, so I've selected two doctors and can't make a choice which one to use. So I want to go to one of them for the baby's first appointment and then, if I don't like the doctor, to switch to the other one. I feel awkward coming out of the appointment and immediately requesting a records transfer form :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Your other option is to fill out a record release form and have them send copies of all records to you. Then if and when you choose to switch doctors you don't even need to mention it because you'll have all the records anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Go ahead and change to the doctor you are comfortable with! I had to change mine at 32 week when I was pregnant with my son because I became very unhappy with the doctor I had then. I was very lucky to find my current OB to take me in at that point. I explained to him the situation and he was more than happy to welcome me as his new patient.

·
Registered
215 Posts
To each their own. Some doctors are very good in one area but lack in the others. Tell them like it is and it will help them in the long run. If they take it as a bad value then they shouldn't be doctors. You need to love what you do to put positive information into the public.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts