Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite covers over fitteds have always been the Dappi pull-ons or the Bummis Whisper Pants. But now I'm selling off a huge chunk of the stash and will be using mostly prefolds. The prefolds obviously let more poop onto the cover than fitteds, which makes removing the cover more messy when it's a pull-on. I know this from lots of experience.
I do use Snappi's, which helps some, but think I would like to get some Bummis SWW. In the past I have used them but no longer own any. When I had a lot of fitteds I really didn't like having to figure out what covers worked with which kinds of fitteds, so I just stuck with the pull-ons. Here's my question about the Bummis- if the prefold does allow poop onto the cover, does the cover generally do a decent job of keeping the poop in? Do you find that it's a pain to tuck a snappi'd prefold into the cover, or is it pretty fast and easy? I know trifolding is fast and easy, but it's not going to be as reliable during the runny poop stage, is it?

Anyway, debating the whole Bummis SWW thing.. I've got TONS of pull-ons in every size so if I never buy another cover I will survive. But now that I'm selling off the tiny newborn fitteds I'm also thinking maybe a dozen premie prefolds would be helpful (or use flats) and I know snappi's aren't always a good idea with those since the diapers are thin. A newborn wrap would be helpful to have, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
during the EBF stage, i would definitely snappi, not just trifold. we've done both and the poo containment was much better when we snappied. litewraps fit better over snappied PFs than Bummis, IME.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I think snug fitting covers are the way to go if you do not want to pin or snappi. Why are you selling off nb fitteds if they work great? I wish I had fitteds for ds when he was newborn but we had PF and they leaked poop every time even when we snappi'd! It was mostly due to user error since it takes a bit of practice to know how to fold the diaper just right to form that little pocket for the poop to fill before it overflows onto the cover. Plus I had some really lame covers at the time, I just didn't know it. (I hadn't yet discovered this board!) I have never used BSWW but use Litewraps now and I love the fact that they are very roomy and you don't have to worry much about diaper sticking out of waistline. I make sure that I roll/tuck the extra fabric at the legs into the diaper before I fasten on the cover and usually none bypasses the leg gussets. While on the topic of covers, you could check out www.babycottonbottoms.com, they have a wrap similar to Proraps called Green Earth wraps that are $6 each. Great deal! I know BSWW are about $9 or $10 each.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I use prefolds 90% of the time and now have what I consider a pretty simple stash. I used to have too many diapers, imo, and honestly it drove me nuts. It feels good to have everything more organized. I do like having a few different kinds of covers as opposed to just one kind, but Bummis SWWs are my all around favorite. If I had to stick with just one type, those would be it. Have you thought about getting a few of 2 or 3 different kinds of covers? This place has great prices and free shipping on covers: http://nickisdiapers.com/catalog.php?category=3

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by andisunshine
Why are you selling off nb fitteds if they work great?
Because I look at how much they cost, and feel like I could get by with something much cheaper. For example, Kissaluvs 0 contain poop great, but the absorbency isn't the greatest and they don't fit for too long (at least on my huge babies!).

The current plan is to sell most of the stash and make sure i have enough prefolds in each size plus the right kinds/sizes of covers. Even after buying a few odds and ends I"ll still be able to have some extra money to pay some bills.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I think Bummis do a great job at holding poop in that escapes a prefold. I love my pull ons, but hate taking them off whenever poop escapes! Yuck! It gets all over the legs, but I still use pull ons alot because it doesn't happen often.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I love my BSWWs! We recently went through a bout of diarrhea with my 9mo DD. I used PFs during this because they are easy to clean well. I always snappi on my PFs and when she would have one of those nasty poos, the BSWW kept it ALL IN! Sure there was poo on the cover but I was not changing the bed at 3am! And since they are not pull ons, clean up was EASY!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetangelbrynlie
I think Bummis do a great job at holding poop in that escapes a prefold. I love my pull ons, but hate taking them off whenever poop escapes! Yuck! It gets all over the legs, but I still use pull ons alot because it doesn't happen often.
This is why I only get the pull ons that have snaps at the side incase of blow outs. They fit the same way as a regular pull on but with the added convenience of the snaps weebees makes them weebees.com (but the site is having problems right now) most of the time I pull them on and off.

·
Registered
316 Posts
i loved bummis sww's! i did snappi for the first few months, but it became dangerous to my fingers! LOL we went to just the tri-fold afterwards and never had any leaks of any kind...even with messy bf poos.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
i have never had poo escape from a bummis! i just tri-fold. i used to pin (before i even owned any bummis) and that held poo in so well i didn't even necessarily have to change the cover. so pinning does have advantages. speed just isn't one of them. but yeah the sww will definately keep the poo in.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I still can't figure out Snappis and just trifold. BSWW work great for us.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
We had maybe two or three poo leaks out of the cover in about a year of runny BF poo (and most poos went on the cover).

Tucking the PF in at the legs is easy. I don't even do it lying down anymore, but as I pick her up.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For those of you who like using Bummis SWW on a newborn and trifold, how many covers do you own? It seems like you'd need a lot!

So far I'm going to get 2 NB Litewraps and 2 Small Bummis SWW, plus 2 of the Wonder Wraps onesize covers. I have a bunch of Dappi pull-ons I can use as backup if I need to, until I decide if I need to order more wraps.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
We use Bummis during the day and Fuzzi Bunz at night (I like being able to double up liners and customize the absorbancy when the dipe will be on for longer periods). I have found with the Bummis, as long as I velcro snugly, we don't have poop-leakage issues. This was true even when DS was EBF. He does have rather chunky thighs, though, so maybe this helped with containment. I've found that whenever he has leaked poo, it's been human error - because the dipe wasn't on snugly enough. I don't pin or snappi as a rule - just trifold.

I've also found that when I trifold, if I put the crease on the outside (away from his butt) then the poop stays on one side of the dipe and is easier to scrape off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts