Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I go for my routine prenatal yesterday and my doctor tells me he'll be away from May 15 to June 8. First I've heard of this. I was absolutely stunned.

Ironically, in my 1st pregnancy, my care provider went on her Xmas holidays from Dec 15 to Jan 4 and my EDD was Dec 29. I ended up with a colleague of hers - a lay midwife - that I didn't get along with at all. I delivered on my due date and ended up with birth trauma from the whole experience of losing my support, feeling like I couldn't trust the lay midwife and so on and so forth. That's why I went with a doctor for this pregnancy. And now look what he does. Buh. Seriously.

So, I looked into my midwife again and she's switched practices and is with a group of women who are all RMs - no laywomen in there. I decided to call and see if she's available b/c I had such a great prenatal experience with her last time. If she could only have caught my DD, I really feel it would have been a much more positive experience.

Turns out she thinks she can take me on, even at this late date. She says they're pretty booked up at the end of May but they can probably squeeze me in. She just has to confirm with her colleagues.

Cross your fingers, Ladies.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Oh I hope so!!!

Sorry that your doctor is going away. I guess it's better to know now than at the last minute (yeay, like this isn't last minute, right?)- but I am glad that you have an alternative to investigate.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. Like 32 weeks isn't a bit late notice, eh. Pfft.

I did have a good chat with my midwife. I know I won her over just based on our history. Mwa ha ha ...

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yay! Yay! Yay! (does little dance of joy around office)

She confirmed today that they're taking me on. Yipee!!!!!!

Interestingly she's been talking with my doctor about providing intra-partum care for some of his patients anyway. He's overworked being 1 of only 2 docs in my town who does prenatal, L&D, etc. He's the only one in his clinic and there's one guy in the other clinic. It's really pretty hard finding maternity care here.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Oh that's great! I hope you'll have a way better birth experience this time, with the midwife YOU CHOSE.

And it's great to have a history with a midwife. Mine knows me well, all the way back to my first son (I've seen her for all 3 pregnancies, but had to transfer to a hospital with the first one since he thought 29 weeks was a good time to come
). I love having more of a FRIEND rather than just a care provider, ya know?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yay!!! Great news- congrats!

I think that's a pretty crappy thing to do, IMO (what you're doctor did). I was lucky when I interviewed midwives that one came right out nad told me she probably wouldnt' be able to deliver me - it would be one of the OBs in the practice. I liked her, but it wasn't a good fit for other reasons, but I really appreciated that she was so forthcoming with me up front.

Made my decision to choose my homebirth midwife (which really wouldn't have been a contest after I met her anyway - love her!) really easy!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had my midwife appt on Apr 15 and it was GREAT to see her again. She's in a new practice and it's all RMs. The receptionist is super friendly, too. It was just such an encouragiing experience. I see my regular doc on Monday to inform of my switch and have my files faxed over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.