Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - my ankles are swollen like little sausages. Isn't it a little early in the pregnancy for this (12 weeks)???

I've read a lot about swollen ankles in the third trimester but not now!!!

I'm freaking out a little - is this a bad sign?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it has been - I am going to go home tonight, elevate my feet and try lying on my side for awhile. See if that helps. I have an appt. on Monday with my doctor. Maybe I'll call tomorrow if it isn't better.

AHH!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Getz
I noticed this as well. I wonder if it is aggravated by the fact that I am already overweight.
Me too Getz - I'm overweight as well.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Somewhat illogically, I know Gethane is right, that one of the best ways to combat this is drinking more water. I remember reading or hearing during my 1st pregnancy, that putting lemon in your water helped, since it's a very mild dieuretic. Anyone else know if this is a good idea? I think it helped me, but perhaps it was just a placebo sort of effect.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I'd never heard that. Although I did drink lemon water for morning sickness.

Pretty much no matter what ailment brings you to the OB, first they tell you to drink more water :LOL

It wasn't that way with my first three, back in the early 90's.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
With my first pg I had swollen ankles from week 16 on - I'm talking bed pillows stuffed into shoes. I had a fine pg and delivery. Believe it or not I got even more swollen in the days after giving birth before it finally went away.

I also think drinking more water would help. If you do not drink enough you tend to retain it. When I was pg the first time I couldn't/wouldn't drink water (had bad morning sickness and just couldn't cope with water for some reason). The only fluid I drank for months was watered down apple juice.

I was not overweight at all, but did gain a lot of weight during the pregnancy, 60 lbs, and started gaining the weight right away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.