Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My babysitter just called to tell me that the tip of 23 month old DS's penis is swollen and red. I'm heading over there now to check it out and will post an update, but any immediate thoughts? Could it be a yeast infection?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I have no idea but I hope it's nothing wrong. Is he drinking and peeing okay? Is he acting like it hurts? Because my first reaction when I read this was that maybe she retracted and saw the head of his penis (sometimes people are shocked at how red/purple it can normally look). Does she mean the outside of the foreskin is swollen? Is there any discharge?

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I went and took a look at it. I think it may be a yeast infection -- he's on antibiotics right now. It actually doesn't look that bad. About half of the tip is reddish and it's somewhat swollen. It doesn't seem to be bothering him, though it's tender to the touch. There's no discharge.<br>
The babysitter also said that when she was checking out the redness she tried (gently) to retract it but wasn't able to and stopped. I was a little freaked out when she told me that, but she said she didn't force it. I gave her a crash course in foreskin care. I didn't even think to do that when I first started with her, d'oh.<br>
I've got a call in to the pediatrician, so I'll see what they say.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Have you read this very comprehensive informational sticky on foreskin problems? <a href="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=764732?" target="_blank">http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=764732?</a><br><br>
If he is on antibiotics, he may have some yeast going on. Acidophilus liquid applied to the foreskin say 4 times a day should help reestablish normal floral balance in the area. Pour a little in your hand, dip the penis in it, and let it dry on there.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
It sounds like a bit of diaper rash. Though the antibiotics do make him more vulnerable to a yeast infection, I'd give it a day or two before treating it as such, and just treat is as run of the mill diaper rash first.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
That happened to my son a couple of times. In his case it was swelling and irritation from overstimulation (twiddling, etc.) that caused the foreskin to swell so much there was only a tiny opening. I put a cream on it and stuck a prefold in his pants to cushion the area and tried to minimize his messing with it and after a day or so the swelling went down and there was just a little smegma that needed to be cleaned.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put some lotramin on it, at the advice of the ped, and the redness and swelling was almost totally gone this morning. It may not even have been a yeast infection, it may have just been a little irritation from something. I'm so glad it went away quickly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts