Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke from deep sleep this morning feeling pain near my eyes and upper jaw. It kind of felt like someone punched me in the eyes and mouth. When I checked in the mirror, I noticed my upper eyelids were very swollen but my teeth looked normal. Four hours later, my eyelids are still swollen and it hurts a little when I blink. I have had cold symptoms for about three days including congestion and sore throat.<br><br>
I'm thinking if my eyelids are still swollen tomorrow, I'll call my doctor. Is this just a normal side effect of pregnancy? I haven't heard of it before. A google search said pregnant women can get edemas in their eyelids. Anyone experience this?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
It sounds to me more likely related to the cold symptoms - possibly sinusitis or an allergic reaction of some sort. Edema around the eyes that was specifically pregnancy-related would generally be due to Pregnancy Induced Hypertension, but you're very early in pregnancy for that, and you'd almost certainly be experiencing other symptoms if you were at the facial edema stage.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. They are still very swollen and I can't fully open my eyes. I'm going to call my doc early tomorrow.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yikes, that sounds scary! I hope everything is okay and your swelling goes away soon. Keep us updated on what the Dr says!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts