Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please refresh my memory.

I was reading through my daughters medical records and I see it says she has a syrnix. This is what the original NS says:

"Sensory examination appears to be at L5 on the right and L4 on the left. She has an MRI which shows a cord tethered all the way to the base of the canal with a syrinx. Thers is a lipoma component to this as well."

Okay, does this mean it was fixed during her 1st surgery? Or can you not fix a syrinx? If you can't fix it what exactly can it do damagewise?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Michaela has a syrinx, from T-7 or so down to the base of her spine. It was first noted on MRI when she was 17 months, and it's been followed since then with MRIs every year or two. Hers is large, but stable, and there hasn't been talk of shunting it since it was first discovered (she's 12 now).

I haven't done a lot of research on syringomyelia since she was very young, but when I did a quick web search a minute ago, I found the Wikipedia article to actually be pretty comprehensive, and mirrored what Michaela's neuro tends to say every time we see him. You might start with that (google "syringomyelia").

If I remember right, a progressing syrinx can do damage, but a stable syrinx is just that, stable. It can change at any time, though, which is why it's important to watch for the development of symptoms. Your daughter's case may be different from Michaela's (didn't your daughter have a tethered cord?).

Hth,

Joni and kids, incl. Michaela
:, 12, syringomyelia

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, she has a tethered spinal cord. She has had 2 surgeries to untether it. At 4 1/2 months old and at 2 years old.

I'm going to start a question sheet for the NS. Her surgeries were with two differnet NS. This is a new Doc for us and have only been to him once. That was this past July.

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chann96 View Post
Charlotte has a small syrinx somewhere mid-back. I can't remember exactly where right now. Her n/s says that as long as it's not progressing it's not a big concern for him.
Thats what I was thinking. I will have to ask next month when we see the NS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.