Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Sorry, I don't have experience with those, but my Sister got dd a nice set (rectangular table and two chairs) at an unpainted furniture store last year for Christmas. You might also look at IKEA if you have one near you...

Just adding some options you might look into.

· Registered
7,984 Posts
We have one from Toys R Us after Ikea dropped the ball on the one we'd ordered from them. It's not one of the two you showed, though. It's square, with pine legs and chairs, with a good white top surface that is **** white after a year of playdough, finger paints, pizza and ink stamps. It's sturdy (assembled with hefty bolts) and looks decent.

· Registered
702 Posts
No experience with those sets.

However, the first table, with the bins underneath looks like it might tip easily, say if a toddler tried to pull themseves onto it.

The second table, with four legs, doesn't look sturdy...like it might end up wobbley after some time.

I'm kind of picky about furniture. Woodworking is our thing.

· Registered
10,486 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gardenmom
You might also look at IKEA if you have one near you...
We got a wooden table and chair set from IKEA for $30. We painted it to match DD's room. It's sturdy, but the chairs tip backwards easy for a young child who doesn't understand how to balance on a standard style chair. The legs are just straight and so its easy for a little one to move wrong and go over backwards. This happened to my daughter at first occaisionally but she doesn't have that problem anymore.

· Registered
3,127 Posts
Well, it might be out of your price range, but the table and chairs I got DD for Christmas are from www.mccourtmfg.com I got a 24x36 inch table w/ adjustable legs, and 2 of the 12" chairs for a little less than $150, including shipping. There is NO way the table would ever tip, it is super heavy duty, and I (my whole pregnant self) had no problem standing on it to get some Christmas decorations down yesterday. The chairs legs go kind of outward, and they don't tip either, I tried
They even hold my 200lb husband! I know it cost alot, but I figure I can use this table for years, it is adjustable in height (I got the longer legs) so it can even be used as an extra table when we have company. I am very happy with the quality of the table, and it is better quality than the ones at our local school! DH and I are fairly picky about furniture, and would rather spend $$ on something that we see lasting years, instead of just a few years.

· Registered
316 Posts
Here are a few links to the table and chair set that we have and really like. The table and chairs are very stable. They have held up very well so far. We (the adults) even are able to sit and stand on the chairs. The table has held up to Maggie standing on top of it.
- scares me sometimes, my little girl does!! The only downside in my opinion is that the chalkboard table doesn't work real well with using chalk. Maybe we need to condition it or something, I don't know. Also, I noticed that your links were to the Canada Toys R Us website. I looked for the table and chair set using "Canada" in the search engine, but couldn't come up with anything. Here's what I found though. This site has more reasonable prices than the others that I looked at. Good luck in your search!!

Link to table:
http://www.smitpag.com/Merchant2/mer...ategory_Code=J

Link to chairs:
http://www.smitpag.com/Merchant2/mer...ategory_Code=J

· Registered
4,470 Posts
we have two sets. the first one was from toysrus: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=glance&s=toys
Rowan loves it, we've only had it for a few months but it's very sturdy and easy to clean. My only complaint is that the chair backs are REALLY low which could be a problem, depending on your child of course.

the other one we have is the same as the one in Maggie'sMomma's post (the table, not those really cool looking chairs!!! i want them!! LOL)...the chairs that came with that have high backs but they're also higher off the ground and are harder for rowan to get up on by himself.

you could also try thrift stores...

good luck!

· Registered
5,123 Posts
We have had the same little wooden set for many years and it has been great but I can't for the life of me remember where we bought it... The table is square, with wooden legs and a white top. Chairs are very basic with white seats and wooden legs - everything is very straight, no curves at all anywhere. I looked at the Canada Toys R Us website for something similar but couldn't find anything.

The first set you linked to is cute but I'd worry if they could tip it if they leaned on the edge, since it hangs over the leg base. Wish I could find a pic of what we have...

Good luck finding a set - they are so handy to have!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.