Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 24 weeks with baby #2 and forgot about the agony that is tailbone pain. I suffered through it last time but this time I HAVE to do something. I sit on my butt at a desk for 8 hours a day working and it's killing me. I do pelvic rocks and get up and stretch but it kills. It's turning into sciatica down my leg and everything! Not to mention the beloved pubis symphysis stuff coming on. Boooo!!
:

Any suggestions to stop this torture?

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Chiropractor!!!

I started suffering from this towards the end of the first trimester, and after 3 adjustments, I was actually able to walk to and from the bathroom at night. Ahhhhhh...
I was going twice weekly, but last week got bumped down to once a week, and things seem to be holding up well on that schedule. Phew!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Ugh. I am having pubis symphosis already and I am only 16-17 weeks. The OB I saw triggered it with that dang speculum. It gets a little worse every day, I'm not looking forward to the end. I had it so bad with my son at the end of the pregnancy I couldn't even roll over in bed without literally screaming, my poor DH.

Everyone told me chiropractor chiropractor chiropractor! But I do not (nor did I then) have health insurance, and we are in no position to pay for it out of pocket. *sigh*

If you can get to a chiro, it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I also was having a lot og tailbone pain at about 24 weeks, and got major relief from a chiropractor. I have been going to her regularly since then and am happy to say that I am over 36 weeks with NO back/hip/tailbone pain
: . I think seeing the chiro has helped get my body ready for birth, too... I had a massage the other day and the therapist said that my sacrum was super flexible and should just "get up and out of the way" when the baby is coming through. I found my chiropractor from this great site (she specializes in women and children): http://www.icpa4kids.com/

·
Registered
300 Posts
Runningwithlola,
There is a chiropractic college (NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF HEALTH SCIENCES) in Lombard where you can get adjustments at their health center at reduced rates http://www.nuhs.edu/show.asp?durki=8. It is great because you have chiropractors who are close to graduating being supervised by very experienced clinicians.

Massages are great for tailbone pain and sciatica, and work well combined with chiropractic. It is a lot to pay for, but insurance will sometimes cover massages when your doctor says it is necessary.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My tailbone was broken during the speedy descent of my firstborn. It healed crooked and I have pain while pregnant about which nothing can be done.
I had forgotten about it though since it has been 4 yrs. My pubis symphisis dyfunction started acting up this week too (24wks). I know this is going to sound crazy but when I'm working (as a massage therapist) it all goes away. I don't know if it is the lunge and squat postitions I use, or just the fact that my mind is not focusing on me. Massage will absolutely help with sciatic pain and they should be able to teach you some stretches you can do at home to help keep the area from getting too tight. I would also recommend some yoga, the prenatal kind of course. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Go see a chiropractor. My tailbone must have shifted some after my first DS's birth. It gave me some trouble after he was born and has for every pg since then.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I can suggest to buy an excercise ball and have it under you desk. Every couple of hours instead of sitting on the chair sit on this ball and do your work from the ball. You will be forced to rock and move you hips I know it is sound funny but I suffer from back pain for ages (even w/o pregnancy) and when I first brough this ball to the office everybody smiled but now people are borrowing it from me during the period they have back pain. It is harder when you pregnant but still I manage to relive some stiffness...

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
chiro, chiro, chiro! and for the poster who said they are without insurance and can't afford it, talk to some different chiros who work with pregnant women (the icpa4kids link will be a good start) and ask them if they offer time of service payment discounts. a really good chiropractor would prefer to go out of business and have people with healthy musculoskeletal systems and many are willing to work with you on payment. it's amazing how much difference a few good adjustments can make in pain level and ability to function. i had significant pubic symphysis joint pain with my first pregnancy a couple of years ago and didn't know about chiropractic to help with it and this time i am experiencing similar stuff PLUS the tailbone pain and the chiro i'm working with is great.

also read this page: http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/pubicpain.htm (it's for pubic symphysis pain and spd, but most of the stuff will help with tailbone pain, too)

~claudia

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.