Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been back at work and taking baby with me since he was 6 weeks old. Now he's starting to be more active and therefore more in need of real interaction. What did you all do to make the work environment more tolerable for your dc? (I don't have anything like a swing or a playpen yet just his carseat and some toys.)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh no, I refuse to believe that no one has any advice for me! I am seriously trying to find a way to make this work- and am afraid that I may lose work (I'm a freelancer) if I can't find a way to keep ds happy at the office. Right now I am exhausted and feel like a bad mother and a bad employee. No one has had this same situation??? What did you do? Are gadgets (swings and things) the answer? Help.

·
Premium Member
7,581 Posts
Sorry ecommi that you are not getting responses! I have not tried to do this formally with a baby IN my workplace. I often try to do some of my work from home, so I do know well the challenge of trying to get ANYTHING done with a baby about. In fact right now my 2 y.o. is on my lap trying to 'help me.' But I haven't had to try to keep a baby occupied while working with others that might be caring how the baby is reacting.

HOw about a big blanket spread out with different toys on it, so your baby can spread out more than in the carseat? I would suggest that a swing and/or a "bouncy seat" might also be good. Sometimes babies get too overstimulated by all the gizmos on those so get one that you can take off the toy bar. Consignment and thrift shops usually sell these items second hand. A good sling for when baby is fussy and needs to nurse?

I really hope this can work out for you as it sounds like an ideal arrangement!

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
I have never brought a baby to work with me, but if I were to set that up with a 3 month old, I would get an activity gym (Tiny Love makes nice ones). They are expensive, but run more on kid power than a lot of bouncy seats or swings. HTH.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The pastor at our church brought his son to work as a baby. He'd wear him in a front pack a lot. In his office I saw a bouncy seat, Pack n Play, floor gym and later an exersaucer. Once baby got more mobile and needed more interaction, our pastor hired a teen (it was summer) to entertain the baby when baby wasn't napping. Can you nurse baby to sleep in a sling and then do computer work?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I work from home with my 6mo, but it's basically like working in an office because I have to clock in and clock out. What works for us is changing activities every 15-20 minutes. Nakey butt time can buy me a good half hour, she loves wiggling around on a blanket on a diaper naked. We also take breaks, I don't work full time, so this seems to be okay. Here are some things we do, about 20 mins each

Lay on the bed next to me with a toy
Nakey butt time
Eat
Sit on my lap while I type (this slows me down, so I try and only do it while I"m proofing)
Sit in the boppy with toys
Lay on the ground on a blanket (just a change in scenery is nice)
On my back in the Ergo (and she could go on my back starting at about 4 months)

Then we take a walk every day, and every hour I get up for 10 minutes and we do stuff that isn't on the computer. She takes good naps during the day and sleeps less at night.

HTH

Cara

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.