Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pregnant with my second child.<br><br>
I brush my first dd's teeth with fluoride toothpast and give her drops every other day (in her water, which now I am not so sure that is the right way).<br><br>
I use fluoride and believe in the benefits, especially since dd had to have fillings under GA when she was 18 months.<br><br>
I really want to give this new baby the best start.<br><br>
Our water is not fluorinated. Should *I* be taking drops to help this womb baby's teeth develop strong?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
As I understand it, flouride applied topically is the most effective.<br><br>
I think that it would be better to make sure that you are getting an adequate amount of calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and any other teeth and bone building minerals. Then when your new baby comes, get right on it with keeping her mouth and new teeth clean and by not sharing your smutans with her/him. JMO

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have heard of pregnant people taking fluoride. My aunt who has had horrible teeth throughout her life did it while she was preggo, and vigilantly gave her kids fluoride through their early teens! Neither one has ANY cavities!! (in their mid 20s now) I think it is more effective topically in children because their enamel was already formed in utero. High fevers and severe illness during the time when teeth are forming can adversely affect enamel, so theoretically, fluoride could strengthen them at this time. That said, I personally would focus on getting lots of minerals through great diet, and eat or drink some food with naturally occurring fluoride in moderation like decaf green tea, daily.<br>
Good luck and may your child never ever get a cavity!<br>
Karen

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Hi,<br><br>
Smilemomma actually addresses this somewhere in the archives. I will try to find it. Anyway, the gist of it was that there is no evidence that taking fluoride during pregnancy will help baby's teeth. I believe there was a study done in the past few years on this, tho I don't recall the details.<br><br>
I will be in the same boat soon--ttc and no fluoride in the water. (My 16 month old has caries, tho I did live in a fluoridated area for that pregnancy). I don't plan to take any--the toxic effects of ingested fluride are too scary for me. We do use topical fluoride for ds. I think the key for the next baby will be hypervigilance with oral hygiene from birth onward.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts