Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor wee Owen has had some runny eyes (but no other symptoms) and today I noticed that he's bleeding just under his eyes, on his nose - like where the tears end up. I called my vet and they said to bring him in to be safe. I can only assume he started scratching at it. Our new kitty and him get along wonderful and never fight, but the thought still has crossed my mind that she may have something to do with it. I hope not. I havent seen/heard any fighting.
Wish my little guy luck for 2morrow!

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know no one posted, but thats okay.

Update: My wee kitty has feline herpes. Vet prescribed l-lysine treatments. Turns out the new kitty probably stressed him out and allowed it flare up. Sigh. Thats all I know for now, dh was the one who took him in and thats all he told me on the phone. I'll know more soon.

Does anyone have any experience?

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Wow, is that something that's curable? will it need a lot of medicine? I'm assuming it's not life threatening, right?

well at any rate- I hope your kitty feels better really soon, and that things with both your cats settle down quickly

·
Registered
919 Posts
No experience with anything cat related, but I wanted to say I am sorry your kitty is sick. I hope you get more info and that he feels better soon.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Oh...what do they treat that with, steroid drops? Glad it's something easy to treat!

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Oh Shen!
I didn't see your post until this morning or I totally would have sent some lovin kitty vibes your way- in fact, still am.

It is so scary and stressful when your fur babies have to go to the vet. I haven't had any experience with feline herpes, but I hope all will be well in the long run.

I worry often about my little guys getting sick and I am always watching them for any changes in eating or behavior- I'm weird, eh?

Let us know how your little one is doing, k?

Best of luck and lots of good kitty scratches your way.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone!

He's doing okay - you wouldnt even think he's sick.
Not much to do for him - just be sure to keep him healthy and not stressed. I guess you could say its almost like herpes virus in humans, it just stays in your system. When it flares up it will appear in his head - all congested, which ups your risk of infection. (just like in humans, you get a cold sore) I can only assume he had it when we adopted him from the shelter. He did have a wee cold when we brought him home, I wonder if the stress of the new home made him flare up.

So, he's on an l-lysine supplement for 30 days to help boost his immune system. The vet also gave him eye drops to help clear his eyes. Its called Gentamicin Sulfate - I think its an antibiotic (last time dh takes kitty to vet alone
).

Dh didnt ask how contagious it is - but if it does transfer to my other kitties, at least I'm prepared this time.

Otherwise the new kitty has settled in quite nicely. They sleep, play and eat together, so at least thats good.

Thanks everyone!

Theresa, you are sooo not weird for watching them! Its not like they can tell us their head hurts or something, their behaviour patterns are all we've got.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.